PDA

View Full Version : PSA air compressor

Jerome Stanek
02-20-2016, 1:15 PM
I was working in my shop using my 5 HP air compressor when I noticed it making a strange sound. I hit the breaker and saw flames coming out of the motor. This is a commercial unit that was bought a a auto refinishing supply house. It had a Leeson motor that caught fire. Just wanted to let people know to be careful about not being around when tools are running.

Curt Harms
02-21-2016, 7:44 AM
I was working in my shop using my 5 HP air compressor when I noticed it making a strange sound. I hit the breaker and saw flames coming out of the motor. This is a commercial unit that was bought a a auto refinishing supply house. It had a Leeson motor that caught fire. Just wanted to let people know to be careful about not being around when tools are running.

I'm glad it wasn't worse, Jerome. This makes a very good case for some sort of disconnect for compressors when there's no one around. Better to have to wait for the tank to pump up than waiting for the insurance adjuster.

Jerome Stanek
02-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Mine has a relay that shuts it down when I shut the lights off

Jerome Stanek
02-21-2016, 4:49 PM
I ended up going to Harbor Freight and picked up their 5 HP 60 gallon unit. Got everything hooked up and started it. Seems to run as quiet as my old Quincy and pumps up fast. I will be striping everything that is good off the old tank. I will let you know how it is after I have had it a while and really put it to the test using my RO sander and other air hungry tools.