PDA

View Full Version : Found my bowl gouges and I remembered what to do with them!

Rob Price
02-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Turning time these days is 'few and far between.' I'm not particularly vocal on the forums since I'm relatively inexperienced and inactive, but I still lurk. after I agreed to make some beds for our daughters all my shop time has been flat work lately, but when the neighbors cut down a tree the turner in me can't be helped.

I don't have time to setup my photo booth (i.e. Clear the workbench to make room for it) so please excuse the iPhone photos.

The first bowl was rough turned Dec 2014. Finally got around to finishing it. I've got three more ready to be finished. My neighbor had to cut down a dead oak tree. This one had great spalting from the start. I've had bad luck with oak yellowing on me, so I tried to fill the worm hole dust with stain and then I fumed it with ammonia.

The natural edge bowl was an oak that was blown over a few months ago but cut up this past weekend. It was relatively healthy, so the wood is a little more plain, so I thought I'd try a natural edge. It needs drying, sanding, fuming, finishing but since that might be another year I figured I'd share a few photos now. I tried a ringed foot but my nub broke off prematurely so the curve doesn't flow through the foot very well. Live and learn.

Rob Price
02-20-2016, 11:16 AM
I was able to put one edge right at some gnarly bark.

Thomas Heck
02-20-2016, 6:20 PM
Nice work. A lot of character with the spalting and worm holes.

Doug Herzberg
02-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Turning time these days is 'few and far between.' I'm not particularly vocal on the forums since I'm relatively inexperienced and inactive, but I still lurk. after I agreed to make some beds for our daughters all my shop time has been flat work lately, but when the neighbors cut down a tree the turner in me can't be helped.

I certainly understand that. I'm glad you got some turning time. This makes me want to reconsider oak. Beautiful.

Rob Price
02-21-2016, 1:38 PM
Thanks for the comments. I turned another NE bowl last night after the kids were down. I had planned on making a few 'regular' bowls from these blanks but I think I'll do them all NE since the oak is otherwise plain.

It was a huge tree. I may grab some more pieces, before he splits it for firewood, and let them spalt a bit behind the shop.

Doug Walls
02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
anybody seen my tape measure?

I don't have time to setup my photo booth (i.e. Clear the workbench to make room for it) so please excuse the iPhone photos.

If your workbench is like mine you'll probably find several tape's buried under the clutter! :eek:

I think they call them "Workbenches" because you always have to 'Work" to clean them off before you can use them. :rolleyes:

Doug

Doug Walls
02-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Turning time these days is 'few and far between.' Looks like you haven't lost your touch, Nice looking bowls.

Doug

Rob Price
02-28-2016, 8:22 PM
If your workbench is like mine you'll probably find several tape's buried under the clutter! :eek: I think they call them "Workbenches" because you always have to 'Work" to clean them off before you can use them. :rolleyes: Doug

Agreed. I even have some open shelves behind my bench, hoping that would collect the clutter and spare the workbench- it just delays it.