PDA

View Full Version : Our Hobby....

Steve Ash
09-12-2005, 4:23 PM
every one needs a hobby, thought I'd show what our family does. My son chris is on my grandfathers 1926 Huber that my dad now owns, and my dad is on the John Deere 60 standard. Son Steve and I paint them after Dad restores them. There are about 8 more in the barn in the picture...some Molines, couple more John Deeres and a 1936 Silver King. Later on when I get mine done I'll put up some pics of her. Thanks for looking!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/Huber.jpg

Chuck Wintle
09-12-2005, 4:43 PM
what an interesting hobby and it's a great thing to preserve an important part of agricultural history! Would like to hear more about how you find the tractors to restore, where you get parts and the effort needed to restore them. And more pictures for sure.

Jim Becker
09-12-2005, 4:52 PM
Restoring vintage tractors is a wonderful way to preserve not only the machines, but the culture. Bravo!

Mark Patoka
09-12-2005, 5:05 PM
Looks like you're subliminally trying to convert all those Lion's fans neighbors of yours with your choice of tractor color :) (Go Pack). Very nice work, reminds me of the days I used to drive my grandfathers old Model A or Farmall Model H when we would help out making hay.

Don Baer
09-12-2005, 5:14 PM
Those are realy cool. I remember growing up and visiting my uncles farm and riding around on his tractors. He had a little ford tractor he used to let me drive. I was too small to handle the big John Deer's.

Karl Laustrup
09-12-2005, 5:44 PM
A Packer fan and now this. :D Restored John Deere's. :D :D

Steve, let me see if the govenor will annex your part of Michigan into Wisconsin. ;) :D

Karl

Matt Meiser
09-12-2005, 5:59 PM
Nice tractors. I also like that old gas pump in the background.

Jim Young
09-12-2005, 8:07 PM
So that's why you stiffed us this weekend? "lol" Keith told me you were hangin with your Pops.

Ken Garlock
09-12-2005, 9:05 PM
Nice looking machines, Steve.

If you get RFD-TV (dish network ch.9409), they have several programs about "old iron." One show is called "Classic Tractor Fever." Now and then, they will have a show about one of the "Threshers Reunions."

As I recall, the Huber is rather hard to come by.

Swap those out for what is in the barn, show us the rest of the collection. :cool:

Tom Mullane
09-13-2005, 7:36 AM
Here are a couple of pics of some of our 'old iron'... as you can tell we are into a different color than Green.... LOL....
FIL is a die hard Case man.... this is just some of the stuff he has... there have been a few additions since these pics were taken...
FIL used to be president of the JI Case Collectors Association.... he dearly loves his Flambeau Orange machines... as well as the Grey ones..

John Miliunas
09-13-2005, 7:54 AM
Way to go, Steve! Nice color choice!:D Those really are some great looking machines! Kudo's to the Ash family for preserving that part of our heritage!:)

And Tom, turns out your FIL is a Wisconsin fan, as well! (You DO know where the point of origin for those Case units is, right?:D )

Anyhow, what I really want to know is, when do you guys find the time to do any WW?:confused: :D :cool:

Steve Ash
09-13-2005, 8:07 AM
Thanks guys...now to answer a few questions. Charles a couple of these tractors were dad's when he farmed but the majority we have found just driving the backroads, a couple of the Molines he has were bought at a auction sale. Parts aren't too bad as John Deere still has some parts available.

Mark maybe (Go Pack) you have something (Go Pack) with the subliminal message (Go Pack) thing.

Karl, Wouldn't bother me to be a cheesehead!

Matt, the gas pump is a real old one with brass controls, and if you look real close the globe is a Packer G. Sorry Mark, there I go again.

Jim, sorry about that....anytime I can spend with my Dad (he's 80) I just gotta do..but I know you all would understand. Sounds like you guys had fun.

Ken, yep the Huber is rare. My Grandfather bought it in 1937 and used it on his threshing machine and his sawmill. Dad has them all neatly tucked away for the upcoming winter, but next spring I'll get more pics when he takes them out.

Tom, we aren't color blind to just green, we have 4 Molines, and the 1936 Silver King I posted below....that's Dad and his newest addition not quite done. My son Steve Jr. painted that one. Jr. and I have painted all but 1 of his tractors.

John, somehow I manage to find the time for both.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/SilverKing.jpg

Keith Starosta
09-13-2005, 8:14 AM

Tom, we aren't color blind to just green, we have 4 Molines, and the 1936 Silver King I posted below....that's Dad and his newest addition not quite done. My son Steve Jr. painted that one. Jr. and I have painted all but 1 of his tractors.

In fact, take a look on the wall there behind Mr. Ash. Is that a Case emblem?

Keith

Steve Ash
09-13-2005, 8:15 AM
as long as I'm posting pics, thought I'd show you my tractor. It is a 1944 John Deere B that my dad gave me when he retired in '93. I am quite fond of her not only was she my Dad's but I spent a lot of time on this old girl as a youngster. We used her for the hay elevator, grain auger and she saw some time planting corn and beans with a two row planter,cultivator and bean puller. When we expanded to 6 row equiptment then she was no longer needed as a field tractor and just was used for the elevator and auger.
I am just about ready to start painting her and get it all put back together so she looks like a tractor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/44B.jpg

Steve Ash
09-13-2005, 8:16 AM
In fact, take a look on the wall there behind Mr. Ash. Is that a Case emblem?

Keith

Yep it sure is Keith.

Jeff Sudmeier
09-13-2005, 8:30 AM
Steve, I have always thought these restorations were really neat!! I have known a couple people that have done it... the hours you have to put into one is amazing!!

Joe Tonich
09-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey Steve,

MAN them are pretty! :D

I have a question for ya. My cousin in 'Bama has my Grandfathers old '48 Model 'M' that he is restoring to original, but we cannot find the rear light assy. for it. I've looked around the old tractor boneyards around here, but no-one had one and I guess they can't get it as I was never called back. :( Any leads would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Steve Ash
09-13-2005, 12:06 PM
but we cannot find the rear light assy. for it. I've looked around the old tractor boneyards around here, but no-one had one and I guess they can't get it as I was never called back. :( Any leads would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, try this guy www.dennispolk.com (http://www.dennispolk.com) largest salvage yard I've ever seen...just got a few parts last weekend there.
Good luck hunting!
Steve

Joe Tonich
09-13-2005, 1:22 PM
Thanks Steve. :D
I'll give em a call.

Joe

Lloyd Frisbee
09-13-2005, 3:28 PM
Being a city boy, I was wondering why some tractors have the front tires close together and others wide apart like the rears? I assume for different uses but what may those be?

Lloyd

Jim Young
09-13-2005, 4:36 PM
Being a city boy, I was wondering why some tractors have the front tires close together and others wide apart like the rears? I assume for different uses but what may those be?

Lloyd
The ones with the tires far apart are so they can take corners faster. :lol:
Good question, now I'm curious too.

Chuck Wintle
09-13-2005, 5:04 PM

Lloyd
The tractors with front wheels close together are "row crop" models. Its so the driver can navigate the tractor easily in the rows of corn, beans etc.

Steve Ash
09-13-2005, 5:43 PM
Well here is what I've been told.
There was a "standard" tractor such as the one my dad is sitting on and if you look close at the Huber you can see these front ends couldn't be adjusted, they were fixed front ends and primarily a tillage tractor...meaning they didn't do any cultivating, etc.
The row crop tractors were either narrow front and you could straddle between the row and not run over your crop, or the wide front row crop which was adjustable for the width of your rows...these tractors were used for row crops.
Jim you weren't to far off ...the narrow front tractors could be tipped over at high speeds going around a corner and could easily cause the operator to die. These narrow front tractors were no longer avialable after the late 60's I believe.

Curt Harms
09-13-2005, 6:43 PM
The tractors with front wheels close together are "row crop" models. Its so the driver can navigate the tractor easily in the rows of corn, beans etc.

I think the row crop is part of it. Another part is mounted corn pickers. I can remember changing Allis Chalmers D-17s (?) from wide to narrow to mount a corn picker. Talk about a nice clean job, driving a mounted corn picker :eek: with spinning shafts and not-all-that-well-shielded chains on 3 sides.

Curt