PDA

View Full Version : Blade Changing older DeWalt 12" lunchbox planer

David Tolsky
02-19-2016, 3:47 PM
Do you guys know where I can find the manual excerpt on how to change the blades of the older DeWalt 12" planer? The tools are all there laid on on the unit itself but I'd like to know what I'm doing :) Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
02-19-2016, 4:00 PM
David,

What is the model number of your planer?

Google is your friend. For example, here is one manual for a 12 1/2" Dewalt planer http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/manuals/pdf/manual/dewalt/dw733_type_1.pdf.

David Tolsky
02-19-2016, 6:05 PM
David,

What is the model number of your planer?

Google is your friend. For example, here is one manual for a 12 1/2" Dewalt planer http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/manuals/pdf/manual/dewalt/dw733_type_1.pdf.

Yeah, I thought YouTube was my friend too...I just installed brand new blades the same way the old ones were installed and couldn't wait to try it out. I fed in a glue up board and immediately I could tell something was wrong...it sounded like it was chipping and not cutting...it just chewed up my maple/walnut glue-up and spit it out fast the opposite direction like a kick-back. Could it be I adjusted the blades too far forward? I'm at a loss. I believe it's the dw733. It has the black top.

Joe Kieve
02-20-2016, 8:38 AM
I got my 733 from a friend who wasn't very knowledgeable about woodworking. The first time I tried it I had the same problem you did...chewed up my test board. After a few minutes head scratching and further inspection, I found that he had installed the blades backward. Made a world of difference after I turned them around.

Jeff Bartley
02-20-2016, 4:57 PM
David,
The 733 has two magnetic blade setting things that work well to set the blades. Look up the instructions if it's not intuitive looking at the machine. The 734 and 735 use two sided knives that cannot be sharpened. The knives in the 733 can be sharpened a few times before replacement. I'm sure you can find a manual for it.

David Tolsky
02-22-2016, 2:44 AM
David,
The 733 has two magnetic blade setting things that work well to set the blades. Look up the instructions if it's not intuitive looking at the machine. The 734 and 735 use two sided knives that cannot be sharpened. The knives in the 733 can be sharpened a few times before replacement. I'm sure you can find a manual for it.

It's very possible that my first attempt to replace the blades in the 733 went in backwards. Tomorrow I attempt, using the supplied magnetic blade gauges, to turn them around to face the other way :) Makes sense that figuring out from the stock feed side, the cutterhead needs to turn towards it from over the top and the blades need to be facing that way. Sucks that I have the model that had only a one blade edge. Wish me luck that I didn't burn out the motor!

Jeff Bartley
02-22-2016, 7:37 AM
David, I'm sure the motor is fine. And that planer will serve you well, it's less expensive to run because you can send the blades out to be sharpened. With the 734 and 735 you get two edges then you're buying new blades. I still have my old 733 but it needs a couple parts.

Michael Weber
02-22-2016, 10:38 AM
David, I'm pretty sure I have a manual for that model. If you want a copy of the relevant pages on blade setup PM me. Or try here http://www.manualslib.com/manual/798081/Dewalt-Dw733.html#manual. Pages 8 and 9. Not sure if my manual has more info than found in the link.

David Tolsky
02-25-2016, 5:20 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to have DeWalt give my 733 the once over and get the Makita in the meantime. I may have 2 planers for a while.