PDA

View Full Version : Shop-made three-faceted tool or--?

Russell Neyman
02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
I've had a three-foot piece of HHS rod sitting in my shop for quite awhile, thinking that I could make some sort of scraper out of it. I've considered cutting it into shorter lengths and making one if those three-faceted "pyramid" detailers but I already own a D-Way teardrop and have several different beading tools.

Any great ideas?

Doug Ladendorf
02-19-2016, 11:30 AM
You could make a point tool like this: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/130/2961/Henry-Taylor-M2-HSS-Pyramid-Point-Tool

John Keeton
02-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Russell, I have both the D-Way tool and a 3 point tool and use them both. When I want a wider groove, I use the point tool. You can also make a vortex tool for sharp cuts on finial details.

Reed Gray
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Well, I am a big fan of Doug Thompson's fluteless gouges (I do have one video on just this tool). The 'skewchigouge' is or was a some what similar tool that was made from round bar stock, and then for the nose, about half of the diameter of the bar is ground away. It can have a detail gouge nose, or a ) nose. I use the ) nose one for transitions and cove work, and they have about a 70 degree bevel with almost all of the heel removed.

robo hippy

Russell Neyman
02-19-2016, 5:50 PM
Well, I am a big fan of Doug Thompson's fluteless gouges (I do have one video on just this tool). The 'skewchigouge' is or was a some what similar tool that was made from round bar stock, and then for the nose, about half of the diameter of the bar is ground away. It can have a detail gouge nose, or a ) nose. I use the ) nose one for transitions and cove work, and they have about a 70 degree bevel with almost all of the heel removed.

robo hippy

How about a photo, Reed?

Reed Gray
02-19-2016, 8:44 PM
Reed, I watched your video, but I don't think you demonstrated the use if the skewchigouge. Or did you and I missed it? Any way, I think I'll cut the bar up and make three tools: the skew-gouge tool, a flute less bowl gouge, and the half round flat scraper.

A while back you and I discussed possibly grinding scrapers upside down, thinking it might create an instant burr. You were going to experiment. What became of that?

This was a PM from Russell, but it fits in here, so... The fluteless gouge, half round flat scraper, and skewchigouge are all pretty much the same tool. The half round flat scraper is also sold as the Tracy Owens finishing tool, right bevel, left bevel, and round nose, and I think the half round bar stock he uses is 1 inch or so in diameter. I haven't used them, but have used my fluteless gouges as scrapers, and they just don't work for me. Main reason is that because the back of the tool is round, so you get no support from the bottom of the tool when using it as a scraper. Okay if you are just using the round center section of the nose, but if you are trying to scrape with the outside edge, it will tip over, but not really catch. It is excellent for shear scraping, and the round nose is excellent for shear scraping inside of a bowl, and remember to work on the lower half of the cutting edge, just like a skew. If you work above the center of the tool, it will catch because the tool is not balanced.

The nose on a skewchigouge, the ones that I have seen, are more finger nail shaped, similar to standard bowl gouges. I don't have one, and the pictures I have seen are usually smaller diameter shafts, in the 1/4 to 3/8 inch range, which is not useful to me. The small fluteless gouge that I modified to more of a detail gouge type nose, more long and pointy than standard gouges, and 35 to 40 degree bevel is handy for tiny details on spindles, and on bowls if I was beading them or doing other type detail work. I have used it on some dainty finials that I practiced on after watching Ashley Harwood doing her sea urchin ornaments with long dainty finials, My 45/45 gouges won't fit in well, the 40/40 gouge is more of an 'all purpose' type tool, okay for bowls and some spindle work, but I like the 35 degree bevel better for getting all the way down into tight places.

So, I guess you can make just about any type of profile you want. I don't think round bar stock makes good gouges, only detail type stuff.

I am starting a new thread about burrs...

robo hippy

John K Jordan
02-19-2016, 11:00 PM
Russell,

I occasionally use a 3-face pyramid tools but I get more use out of one of my own design, mostly for cutting quick grooves where a skew chisel is not appropriate. My grind has a sharper point for narrower grooves:

I also round rod to make small negative-rake scrapers. I made one slightly rounded and one more flat. These are great for end grain in hard wood, say on the end of a box. I like the round rod since it rotates nicely to any angle. I use the Thompson Tool V10 rods but the HSS should work fine. Sorry, I never took a picture.

Is the HSS rod already hardened or do you have to heat treat it?

JKJ