PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection with a LEIGH RTJ400?

Wade Lippman
02-19-2016, 9:54 AM
I finally got around to trying out my RTJ400. I got good results, but had problems with the "dust".
Seeing that there would be virtually no dust collection between the router bit and the guide, I drilled a bunch of 3/8" holes in the insert that held the guide. That worked reasonably well on the tails, but the pins produced clumps that were way too big to fit though the holes; yet the suction caused them to stick to the insert instead of being thrown out. I had to stop repeatedly to clear the debris out.

So, I figure I would do better to leave the DC off when using the jig. My router is in an enclosure and relies on the air flow to keep it cool, but leaving the access door open would probably be adequate.

Any advice on the best way to handle dust collection with the RTJ400 would be appreciated.

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2016, 11:26 AM
See this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?227848-Leigh-RTJ400-Dust-collection&highlight=mirror

I got pretty good DC with my router table fence.

Mike

Marty Tippin
02-19-2016, 11:34 AM
The fence on my Kreg table does fine for catching all the stuff spewed out by the RTJ400.

Does your router table have a fence with dust collection built in? If not, the idea in the thread Mike referenced looks like a great solution.