PDA

View Full Version : surfacing lumber

Robert Wachtell
02-19-2016, 8:18 AM
I am currently in the process of shaping some of my lumber ... taking rough cut lumber to a planer and jointer. I am wondering if their is a best approach for this? Which side of the board should I surface first, the edge or the face and why?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

glenn bradley
02-19-2016, 8:28 AM
Standard procedure with a few variations based on preference or habit. I reduce stock to approximate size to minimize the effect of irregularities and then paying attention to grain direction:

- Joint one face.
- Plane the opposite face parallel.
- Joint one edge (the parallel faces let you joint the edge using proper grain direction).
- Rip to width.
- Crosscut to length.

When "mass milling" blanks I make them over-sized and cut to final dimension as I am making "parts". I don't mass produce anything so I take the time to let the material acclimate before and after rough milling. I do not let things set around long after being cut to final size, I go right to assembly.

Cody Colston
02-19-2016, 8:56 AM
You should flatten at least one face first before jointing an edge so that the jointed edge will be square to the face. Glenn's process is what I would consider the most logical.

Al Launier
02-19-2016, 8:58 AM
When face jointing initially I place the "cupped" face down to prevent "rocking"; edge joint with the jointed face against the rail; rip to width on the TS; then go to the planer. If multiple pieces require the same width and a good finish I will lightly face clamp several pieces & plane the previously ripped edges together. Do not edge plane single edges unless there is sufficient width, either as a single piece or several lightly clamped together to prevent tipping and keep any clamps clear of hitting the posts when planing.

Marty Tippin
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Glenn alludes to it, but one additional bit of advice: Rather than trying to joint and plane a long piece of lumber and cut parts out of it later, cut your parts out to oversized rough dimension first and then work the individual parts. Helps ensure you get maximum usable thickness out of what might be a bowed and twisted long board.

Robert Wachtell
02-19-2016, 12:27 PM
I love these internet forums. Idiots like me would be dead and gone without them.

Eric Weinheimer
02-19-2016, 1:06 PM
After all these years, I actually thought I knew all about woodworking until I read threads like these!