PDA

View Full Version : Water in chiller?

Keith Winter
02-18-2016, 10:16 PM
I've read a lot of conflicting info on the forum, wondering what everyone uses these days in water chillers for their lasers? I've read not to use tap water because minerals will build up in the tube, so then I thought deionized water but I read on here someone said it can harm something in the laser over time, then I also read reverse osmosis water from a pet store.

Not sure really what's the best to use for the longest life chiller and laser?

Kev Williams
02-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Mine's had the same distilled water in it since Thanksgiving weekend 2014. Last time I checked was a couple of months ago, water is still full, and to look at the tube, it looks like there's no water in it at all. Which is a good thing. :)

Bert Kemp
02-18-2016, 11:24 PM
i use distilled water with a table spoon of Clorox no problems so far

David Somers
02-19-2016, 2:47 AM
Like Kev I used distilled water and dark hoses to keep light away from the water. I can see the water level in the chiller through a site glass that I keep covered to keep light out, but that I can remove easily to check the water level.

Dave

Dan Hintz
02-19-2016, 8:47 AM
Like Kev I used distilled water and dark hoses to keep light away from the water. I can see the water level in the chiller through a site glass that I keep covered to keep light out, but that I can remove easily to check the water level.

Dave

Why are you trying to keep ambient light out? The laser tube itself is putting out so much UV light, bacteria would grow with it 1,000x faster than with ambient.

Keith Winter
02-19-2016, 9:38 AM
Sounds like distilled is the conscientious thank you all!

Jerome Stanek
02-19-2016, 9:39 AM
I use the pink RV antifreeze in mine only because my shop is unheated when I am not in it.

David Somers
02-19-2016, 1:03 PM
Hey Dan,

Was just thinking that when it is sitting idle (I am not a production shop so I dont use the machine all the time) that clear tubes might be a place for algae to grow if light is hitting them. Cheap enough to have a few feet of black tubes to block the light. Won't hurt and might help. Probably doing nothing actually. But no harm and minimal expense.

How are you doing Dan?? Hoping all is great out your way!!!!

Dave