PDA

View Full Version : Jewlery Box Done!

Sam Chambers
09-12-2005, 2:12 PM
This was a gift for my stepdaughter on her 16th birthday. SWMBO got her pearls, so I figured I'd build her something to keep them in. It's the New Yankee Workshop design, with a few modifications - most of them accidental.

I got the cherry about 8 years ago, from my parents' neighbor. He was building a cherry kitchen when he suddenly died of a heart attack, and she was selling the rest of his lumber. I'm glad it will have a chance to endure.

The finish is 1 coat BLO, 2 coats Zinsser Seal Coat (dewaxed shellac), 2-3 coats Minwax Wipe-On Poly (clear gloss).

New stuff on this project:

First nice, indoor project.
First time working with cherry. Beautiful stuff, but very brittle. Didn't have too many problems with burning, though. First dovetails. They were made with my Jointech Saw Train.
First time finishing anything for inside. (Many thanks to Jim Becker and other in the finishing forum for their help!)

Lessons Learned:

There are plenty of mistakes in the finished piece, but I'm getting better at fixing or hiding them.
BLO works magic with cherry. I'm glad I didn't stain it, because I really love the color.
I didn't enjoy my first experience with shellac. It dries too dang fast.
The Minwax Wipe-On Poly was very easy to use, and quite forgiving.
I bought some cherry knobs at Rockler, but they weren't even close to being a decent color match, and I didn't have time to turn any from my existing stock, hence the brass knobs.
Sometimes teenagers really do appreciate the nice things you do for them.
Last, but definitely not least...Kickback really hurts.

Many thanks to all of you who gave me such great advice!

Jack Hogoboom
09-12-2005, 2:15 PM
Sam,

Gorgeous piece. I really like your dovetails. Your step-daughter will love it forever.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Don Baer
09-12-2005, 2:16 PM
Sam,
Very nice. I love the joinery (I'f thats a word). Beutiful finish. I am sure she'll treasure it.

Donnie Raines
09-12-2005, 2:20 PM
Very nice!!!

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 2:28 PM
Very Nice. The hidden compartment is cool as well. Is'nt it fun to learn new stuff?

john whittaker
09-12-2005, 3:19 PM
Sam, very good job. Doesn't LOOK like one of your first "nice" projects. Looks to me to be another fine piece of work. Joinery is very nice. You have talent so keep it up. Also, I like the brass knobs. Brass & wood is good.

Thanks for the pics.
John W

Bob Winkler
09-12-2005, 3:25 PM
Nice job Sam. See ya left off the mirror ;).

Several of us on this forum also made this case. I know my daughter loves hers, and I think you made the right decision on the natural cherry finish.

I love your dovetails- wish I didn't cop out and skip them on my case.:mad:

Bob

Sam Chambers
09-12-2005, 3:41 PM
Nice job Sam. See ya left off the mirror ;).
Thanks, Bob. The mirror is the one thing I didn't get done before her party Saturday night. I have a 5" x 7" beveled mirror and plan to install it as soon as I build the frame and pry the box away from her!

I love your dovetails- wish I didn't cop out and skip them on my caseI was getting a little frustrated with my Jointech system for awhile, and considered shelving the dovetails. I'm glad I kept at it, because I'm very happy with the way they turned out.

Jim Becker
09-12-2005, 4:49 PM
Great job, Sam!

Michael Stafford
09-12-2005, 4:56 PM
Nice job, Sam! That is a tough project and you did a fine job of executing it. The dovetailed drawers look great and will make it last a long time. Good looking box, that is a lucky 16 year old! ;)

Joe Blankshain
09-12-2005, 5:02 PM
Nice work Sam. Hope I can do as well with my dovetails.

Martin Shupe
09-12-2005, 5:07 PM
Excellent job, Sam. I am sure your daughter will cherish it forever.

Dick Parr
09-12-2005, 6:03 PM
Beautiful work Sam! :)

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-12-2005, 6:25 PM
Simply put, that's beautiful.

KC

Ken Fitzgerald
09-12-2005, 8:44 PM
Excellent job Sam! That project is on my list of todo's also!

Dave Malen
09-12-2005, 8:50 PM
Finish just sparkles. Dovetails are beautiful. Nice job. I'm sure your step-daughter really appreciates your effort.

Dave

Corey Hallagan
09-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Sam, beautiful job! I hope my first Jewelery box turns out as well as yours did. My daughter is all girl and I definitely have a JB on the plans for her. I have a few years to come up with a nice design. Again, sweet piece and craftsmanship!
Corey

Kurt Aebi
09-13-2005, 7:58 AM
Beautiful Job, Sam - Gotta love that "Secret Drawer" nice design and great job on the dovetails!

You will make one 16 year old very, very happy for a long time!!