PDA

View Full Version : Music/keepsake Box for Grand daughter

Ray McGrath
02-18-2016, 5:54 PM
Curly Maple and Walnut. Still learning
Thanks for looking

Yonak Hawkins
02-18-2016, 9:54 PM
What a beautiful gift. She'll treasure it.

Jebediah Eckert
02-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Nice, epoxy finish? What holds the lid open or does it just open all the way?

Mike Null
02-19-2016, 6:43 AM
Very good looking. I like the design and the finish looks very durable.

Al Launier
02-19-2016, 7:51 AM
Nice work Ray, love the wood & finish.

What did you use for the music movement? I've made the mistake in the past in getting a "cheap" 18-note movement, not wanting to pay the high cost of a good quality piece and paid the price for doing so. It got to the point where the prices for quality pieces were high enough to prevent me from building any more music boxes.

Ray McGrath
02-19-2016, 2:25 PM
Nice, epoxy finish? What holds the lid open or does it just open all the way?
Three coats of lacquer. The hinges are stopped at 95deg.

Ray McGrath
02-19-2016, 2:28 PM

What did you use for the music movement? I've made the mistake in the past in getting a "cheap" 18-note movement, not wanting to pay the high cost of a good quality piece and paid the price for doing so. It got to the point where the prices for quality pieces were high enough to prevent me from building any more music boxes.
It's an 18 note, looks to be well made.

Jim Finn
02-19-2016, 8:50 PM

This is the reason I have not made any music boxes. I make about 300 boxes a year for over seven years now. I have not found any acceptable songs available in the movements I have found.

Ray McGrath
02-20-2016, 2:29 PM
This is the reason I have not made any music boxes. I make about 300 boxes a year for over seven years now. I have not found any acceptable songs available in the movements I have found.
Try the Musicboxhouse.com they have a very large selection of songs and movements.

Jim Finn
02-20-2016, 2:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will look there again.

Stan Calow
02-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Ray (or anyone with an opinion), what is the thickness and length of the keys? I have a hard time settling on a good proportionate size for them and these look good.

Jebediah Eckert
02-21-2016, 4:27 PM
Ray (or anyone with an opinion), what is the thickness and length of the keys? I have a hard time settling on a good proportionate size for them and these look good.

I go 1/8" thick for small boxes and frames, only because that's the thickness of the blade kerf. For length I usually go about 2/3 of the thickness of the corner, whatever that ends up being in length. These two small boxes were made with those proportions, but I certainly don't measure anything.

Frederick Skelly
02-21-2016, 7:15 PM
What a beautiful gift. She'll treasure it.

+1. She sure will. What a great gift.

Ray McGrath
02-21-2016, 7:23 PM

As stated by Jebediah, my keys are 1/8" (saw kerf) the depth into the miter aka length can vary and sometimes vary in the same piece for effect. I usually don't go any more then 2/3 of the miter cross section of the miter.

Stan Calow
02-23-2016, 7:21 PM
Thanks Ray. I use router to cut slots for the keys so have options on the width.

Stew Hagerty
02-23-2016, 8:20 PM
Try the Musicboxhouse.com they have a very large selection of songs and movements.

Hi Ray, I tried that address but nothing comes up in Google. It says it does not exist. Then it wants to know if I meant musicboxhaus.com which is some foreign site and may actually be a scam.