PDA

View Full Version : *OT* Amazon

W.C. Turner
09-12-2005, 1:22 PM
Hi,

Anybody bought anything at Amazon lately?

I made a recent purchase. First one in quite a while.

1) When did they begin charging tax?

2) And, trying to contact them is next to impossible! Several years ago, this was not the case, but, now, you may as well forget it!

Anybody else have a problem contacting them, or is it just me?

Thanks,
W.C.

Scott Coffelt
09-12-2005, 1:34 PM
I can't remember if they have been charging me tax or not, but I know several states had passed laws to have places begin charging tax for Internet purchases. I do know I bought something and it should have shipped for free, but I was still charged some shipping charges, minimal but some.

Richard McComas
09-12-2005, 2:10 PM
I placed an order on Aug 10/05, there was no tax on that order. However there is no state or local sales tax at my location.

On another matter with Amazon, I just received one of those suspicious looking emails saying there has been fraudulent use of my account and should go the link provided and confirm my information.

Of course I never respond to email like this but was wondering if anyone else has revived one of these?

Rich Stewart
09-12-2005, 2:41 PM
good move Rich. I never click on ANYTHING anymore. I ordered a DVD from amazon. Got it in three days and no tax and no shipping as per what they said.

Charles E. Martin V
09-12-2005, 3:05 PM
W.C. Turner, if you want to contact them call (800) 201-7575. That is the only way you'll be able to talk to a live person, even then they try and make you do everything through the phone system.

I ordered some books, got someone else's order. Found their phone number on-line, since their website is no help at returns for wrong item. They sent me my items, refunded the entire amount to my card, and never sent the return label for the other book. All told Amazon was out over $100 in merchandise and shipping. How long can a company operate like that and remain in business?

And just a tip for anyone considering a lathe, since this is a turning forum, Amazon sells JET and Powermatic below dealer cost, on top of their free shipping. Other dealers have complained about this and Amazon is going to stop carrying stationary tools all together.

Kevin Brown
09-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Amazon sells JET and Powermatic below dealer cost, on top of their free shipping.

There are cheaper places to buy powermatic lathes ;)

Bob Nieman
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
It is possible your purchase actually came from a partner rather than Amazon itself (Best Buy, ToysRUs, etc)? If that partner has a location in your state, you would have to pay state sales tax. There are a number of states that are going after the online taxes as well. Living where I do, if it ain't at Walmart, I gotta go on-line (especially with gas prices and 70 miles to Home Depot and 160 to Austin Hardwoods)

Never ever click on an email link that purports to be from your bank, or ebay, or paypal, or amazon, etc. If your name isn't in the email (not "Dear Valued Customer"), they didn't send it to you. Even then, go to the site manually. If there is a problem, you will find it there.

Frank Hagan
09-13-2005, 1:46 AM
Bob's right ... if the on-line business has a "business presence" in your state, then they have to charge any applicable sales tax for all shipments into that state. If Amazon.com has a warehouse in your state it is considered a "business presence". They don't have a business presence in California, so I don't get charged sales tax.

But most states have a law like California's ... if you buy an item mail order or on-line, you owe a "use tax" equal to the sales tax you would have paid if you bought it in state. So technically, you have to claim all your non-tax purchases and pay a tax on them anyway. I don't bother with small items, but I do claim the purchase of anything large. I have a new router coming from Amazon.com, and I'll claim the amount on my state tax return, and pay the use tax then.

W.C. Turner
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi,

My ISP has been off for a couple of days, so, I'm just now checking back.

Thanks for all your replies!!

I ordered 3 books from amazon on June 20/05, qualified for free shipping, estimate time of shipping out,, 2 weeks. They kept sending me "Delays in shipping". I finally got 2 books mid Sept. & the last book is supposed to be on the way now, but haven't received it yet.

Amazon used to do a lot better about orders than this. Unless I change my mind, I won't order from them again!

Once again, Thanks!

W.C.

Michael Ballent
09-14-2005, 2:43 PM
Personnally I go by "I can pay retail anywhere". Online purchases can help one save a few bucks, especially on big ticket items. So the day that there are taxes added to online purchases will most likely knock out Amazon and most of the online catalogs that carry what is availble locally. Good for the locals and bad for the online folks. And can you imagine the nightmare for Ebay seller/users as well... Oh lets see what is the tax rate for your state? and now I have to cut a check to each state that I have just sold things to... That day will be really ugly :( Let's hope that it does not happen... But it will probably will. :(

Frank Hagan
09-15-2005, 2:21 AM
Hi,

My ISP has been off for a couple of days, so, I'm just now checking back.

Thanks for all your replies!!

I ordered 3 books from amazon on June 20/05, qualified for free shipping, estimate time of shipping out,, 2 weeks. They kept sending me "Delays in shipping". I finally got 2 books mid Sept. & the last book is supposed to be on the way now, but haven't received it yet.

Amazon used to do a lot better about orders than this. Unless I change my mind, I won't order from them again!

Once again, Thanks!

W.C.

They have gotten slow with the free shipping offers. It often takes 10 to 15 days for an item in stock to arrive. The first time I was shocked ... I had always gotten items from them in just a few days. I still take advantage of the free shipping, but expect it to take a long time for them to deliver it now.

W.C. Turner
09-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I've been looking for a large, 20 ounce, coffee mug, for quite sometime, & couldn't find one locally. I did an internet search & amazon was one that it pulled up. Out of curosity, I took a look, & it is just what I was looking for. But, I was amazed, when I saw that shipping was more than the price of the mug!! Mug:$5.99, Shipping:$6.76 That's, UnReal! I just wished that I had known they had the mug I wanted when I made this recent book order. At least I could have gotten it included in the free shipping, even though it would take 3 months to receive.

And, as mentioned earlier, they're adding tax to everything. But, if you do buy anything from Amazon, BEWARE, they are computing the tax on the Shipping Charges, as well as the item itself!!!! Now, we know that's illegal! Go to amazon, choose any item, add it to the cart, & watch them add tax to everything.

Amazon was a much better at customer service, & just an all round better company, several yesrs ago. I got my unisaw from them & got Free shipping on it.

Thanks,
W.C.

Charles McKinley
09-15-2005, 2:38 PM
Sorry WC but sales tax on the shipping is required here in the communism of Pennsylvania. Ever since I started with this sales tax headache I mean license I have had to pay the use tax on stuff also so it really kills the incentive to buy online. I also like to touch tools before I buy them.