PDA

View Full Version : Disston log saw

Brent Cutshall
02-18-2016, 1:48 PM
Hey,would any of y'all know what make this saw is. The medallion just says"Disston",it's 36 inches long,champion tooth,it originally had a D-handle and I made the one on it but the bolts are still in the same place.(nice handle huh :D)

Jim Davis
02-19-2016, 6:51 PM
If the medallion is original (probably is) then the maker is Disston. Originally Henry Disston, then H. Dissston and Son, then Sons, then Disston, as in this example.

Brent Cutshall
02-19-2016, 9:46 PM
Thanks but I know it's from Disston,I meant what model it is. I think it's maybe a k-954 or a k-554. See, I really like saws, I know an overwhelming amount of information on most saws and their makers,but this saw gets up under my skin because I don't know exactly what it is! So I'm just trying to remove some irritation.

Mike Brady
02-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Not enough left of that saw to really i.d. it. If you still have the handle, that would be the best clue to its origin. Those type of saws often had the broomstick detachable handle that could be used by a second sawyer. I guess we will just call it Frankensaw.

Brent Cutshall
02-20-2016, 5:48 PM
Well darn it. I bought it from a real estate auction so the guy knew nothing about it. It's a rescue saw if you want to call it that and had a lot of restoration done on it. Yeah,it did come with the broken bottom half of a post but in the name of progress it was removed and the original handle was a D-handle(which was on just about every one-man log saw sold.)It's an awful nice saw and saws great. I'll just hafta tell my nosy self that l know what it is. Oh,The Humanity!

steven c newman
02-20-2016, 7:01 PM
Just a big Pruning saw?
Also with Champion teeth, and the extra handle.

Brent Cutshall
02-20-2016, 9:00 PM
Yeah Steven,that looks almost exactly like mine. If it's Disston, what model is it. Thanks for the picture.

steven c newman
02-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I THINK it was a Disston....I had sold it the Chris Hatchet here on this site awhile back. The "bolts" to hold the handle onto the saw were rivets. Including the Medallion. Picked the saw ay a garage sale, for $5. A rusty mess, I needed to replace one or two bolts, out of three. Plate was very rusty, teeth were dull. Took awhile to get it to look even that good. We used it once after that, had a couple big tree limbs to cut.

Might go look up Disston No.554.....

Brent Cutshall
07-04-2016, 9:40 PM
All right people, I found out what this is. A while back I purchased a lance-toothed saw of the same maker BEFORE I KNEW WHAT THIS WAS! So it only added to the frustration. I sanded on the lance-tooth, found an odd yet familiar symbol, and then it hit me, why was I using 400 grit sand paper to remove heavy rust? But that symbol sent me flying through my notes. Then I found it, (drum roll) it is a Montgomery Ward, Lakeside No.84-7050 and the lance-tooth is an No.84-7051. Ahh, the sweet feeling of identification, not that it makes it saw any better but still.