PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Hollow Form

Ken Glass
02-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Hey All,
Long time no post....After selling my tools and lathe and the the move to Lake of the Ozarks, The vortex pulled me in again, and I had to start again collecting tools and turning supplies. Here is a HF out of Spalted Maple I just finished. The Finial is Holly. The form is 6" x 3-1/2" and finished in satin Lacquer with a flat black lacquer Finial. I liked how after the DNA bath brought out the blue streaks. Just had to turn something to start the fever again......Comments are always welcome.

David Delo
02-18-2016, 1:01 PM
Nice job getting back on the bicycle Ken. Really like your pick of wood to get restarted, it's strikingly beautiful.

jwjerry w kowalski
02-18-2016, 6:03 PM
Beautiful piece, I love the green highlights and the finial is top notch.

john snowdon
02-18-2016, 7:00 PM
So THAT'S what I need to do! I need to sell my lathe and tools and then start all over again. Somehow, I STILL don't think I could turn that! A great treatment to a beautiful piece of wood, Ken.

Allan Ferguson
02-18-2016, 9:38 PM
Beautiful Hollow form and fantastic coloration. Great finial artfully turned. I find the finial to be overpowering the HF. Walking away from turning not so easy to do. Welcome back.

Doug Herzberg
02-19-2016, 8:05 AM
That's a beautiful piece of wood and a great comeback! Thanks for posting.

Peter Dougenik
02-19-2016, 8:11 AM
Very nicely done. I especially like the detail at the top of the finial, more interesting than just a point

Ken Glass
02-19-2016, 9:23 AM
Thanks to all for your kind words.

Steve Mawson
02-19-2016, 9:43 AM
Glad to see you are scratching that "itch" again, wood should be plentiful where you are now. I miss my company meeting at the lake from years ago.

Ken Glass
02-19-2016, 9:57 AM
Steve,
Turning wood is very plentiful and without shipping costs. There are many small sawmills that burn burls because they see no real commercial value in them. I drive by live burls on trees every day. Good to hear form you again.