PDA

View Full Version : Alternate base for Grizzly G0490

Anthony Whitesell
02-18-2016, 8:21 AM
I am about finished renovating the shop. Part of the renovation is relocating the jointer. Unfortunately I do not have space to put the jointer in one location that would allow me to mill boards from 2 feet long to 8 feet long. To mill the longer boards I would have to move the jointer. The move is simple enough, just rotate 90 degrees. The problem is, I need to swing the outfeed table 90 degrees and the caster wheel is under the infeed table.

Has anyone built a different base for the G0490 (or similar) jointer?

I was thinking of welding together a sub-base made of 1 1/4" angle iron with 4 total lock casters. But I am trying to figure out what I can do about leveling. I was thinking of adding toggle clamps at the corners. The threaded foot would make it adjustable, and the toggle feature quick to raise an lower.

Thoughts? Ideas? Pictures?

Cary Falk
02-18-2016, 9:38 AM
All my tools are on mobile bases that I made except the Shop Fox version of your jointer and the G0453Z planer because they came with one. I always use 4 total locking swivel casters(usually the ones from Woodcraft). I have nuts welded onto angle iron and allthread to use for leveling. U never use them. I move the machines too much and don't really need them when locked down. The drill press is the only exception because I rarely move it and it is tall. If you are worried about level I would just use 3 casters instead of 4 and call it a day. I can post pictures later today if you want.

John C Bush
02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
I made bases for most of my machines using angle and Great Lakes leveling casters. I would consider a lever lock--foot activated??-- caster now. It can be a nuisance to bend over and rotate the lowering cog in the leveling caster. I like the lower profile of them tho. I don't have to move the machines that often and only need to lower the caster pads if milling big stock.

I can't seem to get pics sent. I will try later or can send them to you via phone. (Not a techie)