PDA

View Full Version : Epilog 6000 value?

Jack Lilley
02-18-2016, 6:40 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2001 Epilog 6000 that has not been used for 3 or 4 years. How can I determine the worth or value of the machine? I am a novice at this and not really sure what to look for or what questions to ask. I'm sure there will be an opportunity for me to bring this to my shop and run it a bit before determining a price. What should I look for? What questions should I ask? If the machine works properly and functions as it should what would be a fair price? I'm not looking at anything else. If I am to purchase this machine it will have some pretty dependable, part time jobs to come with it but that is not part of the price of the machine. Thanks for your help. Jack

Bill George
02-18-2016, 8:13 AM
How many watts? When was the tube recharged last? Its an older machine and are the drivers updated or will you need to use a XP computer?

Mark Sipes
02-18-2016, 12:46 PM
I agree a machine that old is tethered to XP. I would set up a date to have a full demo of the machine. Bring your computer to load the software (XP Operating system). That way you get a lesson on system hook up and software configuration. You can make sure the machine will work with your set-up. Have them run samples to test the full range of the table and power setting. Ask for any maintenance parts, history, accessories, cables, rotary attachment, software, etc. if you choose to take the machine. Bearings, belts and Tube are the major parts of concern. If the Life of the Tube is short, the cost to replace the tube may feel to be as much as a new machine. Not sure what the refill life of tube is, that is like a propane tank, they cannot be refilled after X number of years after manufacture, so you have to replace the tube with a new cartridge.

The price is "what you are willing to pay and what they are willing to accept" Haggle until you are both happy.. You will get little support from them after you leave in most cases.....Epilog will probably be of no help either......"the machine is 15 years old and 3 generations of software old."

Here is the manual if you want to read up on the machine:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVoDgAMZWI6YAqmQnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTE0cDMwczl sBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDUTRDVFJMMV8xBHNlYwNzc g--/RV=2/RE=1455845729/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.epiloglaser.com%2fepilogfiles .com%2flegend_manual.pdf/RK=0/RS=qDDka4ChGMfGwDZkz29obeZqye8-

Personally $2 - 4K is a range I would expect dependent on wattage.

Good Luck.

Kev Williams
02-18-2016, 1:45 PM
IMO nothing wrong with being tethered to XP-- 10 of my 13 machines require and LPT or serial cable and drivers that win7 and above don't care for. I'm sure some of the newer features of newer software would come in handy, but it's not necessary. I make a good living with all my old machines. Keeps my overhead way low, fine by me!

That said, this old Epilog-- As long as it works right, it's probably fine. Just keep this in mind: The machine will cost whatever you agree on plus $2000, which you can save up or set aside or whatever, but PLAN on that money to be used for repairs, like a tube recharge or replacement or some some electronic hardware.

My 3 metal lasers are 19, 12 and 11 years old, they're all running strong. But sooner or later, the 2 newer ones (with original tubes) will at the least be needing a recharge or replacement tube. I know that, so it's not going to be a crisis when it happens. :)

Mark Sipes
02-18-2016, 2:03 PM
I agree with Kev. I have 2 machines that run on XP and 2 still on Win98SE.....

Mike Null
02-18-2016, 4:19 PM
+1 on Kev and Mark.

Jack Lilley
02-18-2016, 7:11 PM
Thank you for your input guys. I have learned that it is a 50 watt machine. The local (300 miles away) epilog rep is getting more info for me based on the serial number and he is getting me a price to replace the tube as well.

Bill George
02-18-2016, 8:05 PM
Thank you for your input guys. I have learned that it is a 50 watt machine. The local (300 miles away) epilog rep is getting more info for me based on the serial number and he is getting me a price to replace the tube as well.
It would be nice if he would test the tube for you. It might be just fine, and there is nothing wrong with XP for machine control. Corel X6 will run on XP SP3, at least good enough to connect and use the printer driver, it did on my ULS anyway.