PDA

View Full Version : Finally a rip saw

Ron Bontz
02-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Managed to finish, ( for the most part ), this 26" rip saw just before the local WW show in Collinsville. Not as much taper as I would like, but I wanted to see how the new rip handle design would go. Things always look good on paper, or rather in CAD:) Borrowed the thumb hole for Wheeler, Madden, Clemsen, and the grip from a designer I forgot already. Just a mix of various elements from over the years. Hopefully the cheek area is mine. As usual, non traditional, but put away your stones, I doubt I will make any more plates shaped this way. So the 26" tooth line is filed 6 ppi x 5* rake and 0* fleam. I do like the look of the Sapele, but a resin infused Sapele would have been better. Needs a little more tuning.

Allen Jordan
02-18-2016, 12:14 AM
That looks amazing. I would love to own one of your saws someday.

Jim Koepke
02-18-2016, 1:55 AM
Your saw is easy on the eyes.

My favorite rip saw is at 6ppi.

jtk

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-18-2016, 3:09 AM
Wow, thats a real beauty

Chris Hachet
02-18-2016, 7:21 AM
That looks amazing. I would love to own one of your saws someday.

I have three, all of which are in use in my shop.

Chris Hachet
02-18-2016, 7:22 AM
Wow, thats a real beauty

Yes it is....I need one as a companion to my vintage Distons.

george wilson
02-18-2016, 8:22 AM
A very nice looking saw, Ron!!!

Phil Mueller
02-18-2016, 8:51 AM
Be careful Ron. You show that around and you may find yourself making a lot more plates like that!
General question, if you don't mind; I find my old disston thumb hole saw doesn't quite line up well for lefty...are most saw handles (yours specifically) carved for a right hand grip or are they pretty ambidextrous?

lowell holmes
02-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Showoff,

I like your work, but then you hear that all of the time.

Ron Bontz
02-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Be careful Ron. You show that around and you may find yourself making a lot more plates like that!
General question, if you don't mind; I find my old disston thumb hole saw doesn't quite line up well for lefty...are most saw handles (yours specifically) carved for a right hand grip or are they pretty ambidextrous?

Hi Phil,
Other than switching the medallions, all my handles are symmetrical for the most part on both sides. That's one of the reasons I stay away from D8s. Those are either a left or right saw. Besides, I don't care for skew back saws anyway. Thanks to all for the compliments. I think I only had to re draw it 4 times in CAD before making one. :):) Looking for something distinctive without a lot of carving, etc. A few hundred years of saw designs makes it tough to do anything original within the constraints.
Thanks Lowell. Most of the time the only thing I hear is the hamster wheel spinning and my own aloud thinking. Sometimes I hear, " I like that". and others I hear "Man that sucks" just before it bounces off the sides of the trash can. :)

Don Orr
02-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Beautiful work as always! Love the curves on the plate fore & aft.

Dave Anderson NH
02-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Nicely done Ron but what's the nib for?:D

Chuck Nickerson
02-18-2016, 12:58 PM

As I tell my friends, it's for when we remember what they are for. :)

Ron Bontz
02-18-2016, 3:28 PM

I used to tie a string around my finger, but could never remember why. Now I just make nibs. :) However, I do like to protect the teeth, or rather the other handles, when stored in my work bench drawers. I, personally tend to think it was to tie a string to for a tooth protector of some sort. Some day I may actually make a Saw till. :D:D

Niels Cosman
02-18-2016, 4:31 PM
Nailed it! I love how the profile of the sawplate heel compliments the front of the tote.
Well done!