PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat with a bit of tragedy

Ernie Nyvall
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
The other day loml came home and told me someone had some wood by the curb. I took my brand new chain saw and hit the road. The wood was elm, but the resident told me most of it was going to a friend for firewood. But then she said " We have part of a tree in the back yard...it's just the big crotches of an old walnut tree." I said "That wont be a problem mam". Her husband help me load it, but one piece was just too heavy, so I had to slice it. About half way through, the cutting slowed way down (no file with me), but no sparks were flying, so I finished the cut. You can see the hole, left center, that was once a dead hollow limb filled with concrete years ago. Still glad to have it. Now, if I can just cut it up the right way.

Ernie

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Looks like a good haul to me.

Steve Stube
09-12-2005, 5:03 PM
Ernie, what a find! Was the tree recently taken down?

I doctored a Maple tree in 1978, I filled three large holes with cement and tar over the top. In maybe two more years the last of the repair will be completely covered with new growth. I thought I should tag it chain saw proof but now I learn from your experience my choice of wording may be wrong. Maybe tag it Hard Core Maple instead?

Dick Parr
09-12-2005, 6:05 PM
Nice haul Ernie!

Carole Valentine
09-12-2005, 7:02 PM
Hmmm...I would say the first thing you need to do is go buy a new chain! :D After cutting concrete, yours is probably beyond sharpening! I would think concrete would be worse than digging the saw into the dirt, but maybe not. You probably will find some really good figure in those crotch pieces! Take a look at the book Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell. He has an extensive section on how to get the best out of a log. Lots of diagrams. Happy turning!