PDA

View Full Version : First cuts with a chainsaw mill

Jason Gregory
02-17-2016, 8:32 PM
Well, I've got my Alaskan mill and a couple walnut logs, but I'm currently waiting for a ripping chain. I have a couple of first time questions after reading quite a few of the threads.
1). Is a select grade 2X6 good enough as a first cut guide if I take plenty of time to level and shim if necessary?
2). I think one of the logs has some "wind shake", should I make a timber out of it or will it be structurally unsound? The timber would end up around 9"x9" and have about 3" of damage towards one of the edges. Not sure how far into the 9 ft log it goes.
3) since I have no place to stack to dry, is it ok to just square them up and leave them outside/ covered until I'm ready to make boards?

Scott T Smith
02-17-2016, 9:03 PM
Well, I've got my Alaskan mill and a couple walnut logs, but I'm currently waiting for a ripping chain. I have a couple of first time questions after reading quite a few of the threads.
1). Is a select grade 2X6 good enough as a first cut guide if I take plenty of time to level and shim if necessary?

Just pick out some straight 2 x 6's and you should be fine.

2). I think one of the logs has some "wind shake", should I make a timber out of it or will it be structurally unsound? PROBABLY. The timber would end up around 9"x9" and have about 3" of damage towards one of the edges. Not sure how far into the 9 ft log it goes. You're better off to make boards out of it instead of a timber. You can always epoxy any shake checks in the boards.

3) since I have no place to stack to dry, is it ok to just square them up and leave them outside/ covered until I'm ready to make boards?

As long as they are stickered with dry stickers, yes. It's best to put something over the top of the stack to keep the rain out (such as an old piece of roofing tin), but don't cover the sides of the stack (you need airflow through it or the lumber will mold)

Comments above written within your text.

Jason Gregory
02-18-2016, 9:54 AM
Thanks Scott! Much appreciated. That chain can't get here soon enough! It's getting warm here over the next couple days and I've noticed some worms under the bark. I'd like to get it off of the logs and I also can't wait to see what the boards look like!

Scott T Smith
02-18-2016, 11:01 PM
One other thing - it's best to run a 40:1 oil mix instead of 50:1 when you're using your chainsaw for milling. The extended time at wide open throttle can cause problems if you run 50:1.

Jason Gregory
02-19-2016, 9:28 AM
One other thing - it's best to run a 40:1 oil mix instead of 50:1 when you're using your chainsaw for milling. The extended time at wide open throttle can cause problems if you run 50:1.

That's good to know! Thanks!

John TenEyck
03-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I use one section of an extension ladder when I make the first cut with my Alaskan Mill. Shim as necessary and anchor it fast. Much easier than trying to get two 2 x's to be in the same plane. You definitely should cut lumber, not big cants. Lumber will dry more quickly with less chance of splitting compared to cants. Sticker it and only cover it on top.

John