PDA

View Full Version : Bushings for hand crank grinder + modern wheels

Glen Canaday
02-17-2016, 8:08 PM
Hi all,

I got a second hand cranking grinder this past weekend, and this one will actually fit a 6" wheel. It's hard to find a decent 5" wheel for my old grinder really anywhere, so I was on the lookout for a replacement and found a nice one.

The problem: most hand-crankers have a 3/8" arbor. No one makes a decent wheel suitable for grinding hand tool irons with a 3/8" hole. They're normally 1". I don't have a lathe or I'd make my own, so does anyone know of a source to get ahold of a 1" to 3/8" x 1" thick reducer bushing? I can imagine there are probably several people here with something similar going on but I didn't find this in search, so I thought it might be worth asking.

Incidentally, I have been to Grainger, Home Depot, Menard's, and McMaster-Carr already. None of them sell one this size.

Thanks,
GC

Bart Nadeau
02-17-2016, 9:14 PM
The wheel isn't moving that fast. Why not take a 1 in oak or maple dowel cut the the right length and drill a 3/8 hole in the middle? Not elegant but I'd give that a try first.

george wilson
02-17-2016, 9:22 PM
I can make you a bushing. PM me about it. Need to know width of wheel,size hole in wheel.

Bill Houghton
02-18-2016, 1:41 PM
Have you looked at your hardware store? Mine has a selection of nylon bushings. I don't know if any are that size, but I could put it on my list to check if you need.

Curt Harms
02-19-2016, 8:05 AM
2 bushings? 3/8 X 3/4 inside 3/4 X 1?

Glen Canaday
02-20-2016, 8:23 AM
Wow, somehow I didn't see the replies.

Making one myself will require I use my drill press with its questionable bearings as a lathe. It's not an ideal solution but it was on the table. I might do that to make a knob for one of my planes in need of resto..or I might save my cash for a little bit and buy a small lathe. Not now though.

George I will PM you as soon as I scrounge up a wheel so that I can get final dimensions.

And then after I buy a lathe I might consider making a ton of these and sell them on ebay..haha!

Paul Sidener
02-20-2016, 8:46 AM
Try an auto parts store. Look at the fuel line hose. you might find something to fill the gap. it might cost you a quarter, you will only need an inch or so.

justin sherriff
02-20-2016, 11:11 AM
why not drill your 3/8 hole in a peace of wood. Mount that on the grinder and use the grinder like a lathe to get it down to the size you need.

Mike Wasson
02-20-2016, 3:35 PM
Glen; Check out a bearing distributor, not home depot.http://www.houstonbearing.com/products/BEARINGS/BRONZE%20BUSHINGS.aspx?category=BRONZE-BUSHINGS

You can find all the bushings in different sizes your heart desires. I have over the years, having been a eq. mechanic, needed to put a bushing in something in order to repair it instead of replacing it. I don't remember what state you live in, but there are bearing distributors like Houston bearing in almost every major city.

Hi all,

I got a second hand cranking grinder this past weekend, and this one will actually fit a 6" wheel. It's hard to find a decent 5" wheel for my old grinder really anywhere, so I was on the lookout for a replacement and found a nice one.

The problem: most hand-crankers have a 3/8" arbor. No one makes a decent wheel suitable for grinding hand tool irons with a 3/8" hole. They're normally 1". I don't have a lathe or I'd make my own, so does anyone know of a source to get ahold of a 1" to 3/8" x 1" thick reducer bushing? I can imagine there are probably several people here with something similar going on but I didn't find this in search, so I thought it might be worth asking.

Incidentally, I have been to Grainger, Home Depot, Menard's, and McMaster-Carr already. None of them sell one this size.

Thanks,
GC

george wilson
02-20-2016, 4:06 PM
Sears USED to sell a group of red plastic bushings stuffed one inside the other. Pretty sure they went down to 3/8"

But,I'll make you one for the postage.

Glen Canaday
02-21-2016, 3:08 PM
Wow, lots of advice. I couldn't find a bearing that might work on that site though the thought of a bronze one did sound pretty cool.

I might take you up on your offer George just so thay I can say I had a custom bushing made that I didn't make myself! I'll see if I can come up with a wheel soon and PM you. Or, I might just go with a stock 6x1x1 norton white wheel. They're only about $22 or so and are uniform in size, so if it fit one wheel it'll fit 'em all. Material for the bushing isn't important..wood, aluminum, bronze, nylon.

The only reason I have for not making one myself is that I don't think I have a good way of guaranteeing concentricity with the drilled hole that doesn't involve side pressure on the drill press.

george wilson
02-21-2016, 3:57 PM
I have plenty of brass on hand. Brass is best.,though plastic would be fine,in reality. Don't make one of wood. If it gets wet,it could swell enough to crack the wheel. A steel bushing would get rusty and jam in the wheel if it got wet.

Glen Canaday
02-21-2016, 4:12 PM
Brass is nice. You have a metal lathe?