PDA

View Full Version : Magnet on a DVR XP head?

Richard Dooling
02-17-2016, 4:53 PM
Could I safely mount a fairly strong magnet on the head of a Nova DVR XP given that it is a direct drive system.

There are times when it would be convenient to mount things on the lathe head such as a goose neck lamp. I've only seen this on belt driven lathes however.

I know that magnetic fields drop off rapidly over a distance - I assume that's how magnetic feather boards grip and release.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ralph Lindberg
02-17-2016, 9:09 PM
I have several on mine.

Trevor Mills
02-17-2016, 9:19 PM
I often wonder the same thing but I keep a lamp with a fairly strong magnetic base on my headstock and it hasn't caused any problems.
... so far anyway.

john snowdon
02-17-2016, 10:25 PM
I have a strong magnet for a goose neck lamp on my DVR XP and have not noticed any performance issues.

Peter Fabricius
02-17-2016, 11:01 PM
I checked with Nova Service Dept in 2010 when I bought mine and they assured me there is no problem with magnets on the DVR XP head....
Peter F.

Richard Dooling
02-18-2016, 5:28 PM
Thanks all,

I thought I was okay but confirmation helps. I have the question in to Teknatool but no reply as yet.

Richard Dooling
02-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Called Nova and managed to get the technical rep. He confirms that putting magnets on the head is not a problem and they are in fact coming out with a head mounted light soon.

john snowdon
02-25-2016, 8:07 PM
Called Nova and managed to get the technical rep. He confirms that putting magnets on the head is not a problem and they are in fact coming out with a head mounted light soon.

About time!

Richard Dooling
04-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Got a message from Craig at NOVA apologising for the slow response to my written request for information on this. Said their message system had malfunctioned and they finally figured out how to retreive old messages they thought had been lost.

Anyway the email included a PDF (too big to post here) that included the new lamp. I can't find it on their site so the details are slim.

$49.99 SKU#9032