PDA

View Full Version : How in the heck did he do this?

Neville Stewart
02-16-2016, 11:16 PM
This is really impressive fiber laser work. I can't figure out if he colored some of it after the fact. Whites and blacks are understandable, but not at the bottom of a cut, and not on a bronze anodized lower, See the lettering on the bottom and the space around the anchor. Any ideas?

Kev Williams
02-16-2016, 11:36 PM
It's not bronze anodized, it's Cerakoted. Not sure if that has any bearing on anything to do with fiber lasing...

If a fiber will turn aluminum black AND white, then the white at the bottom of the letters (and everywhere else) could be done by simply running a 'white' pass of the outlines of the engraving after the black.

As I look at it, the black could've been painted after the initial deep pass, followed by a white pass.

If you zoom in on the rope, it the white middle of the rope is cut deeper than the edges. Makes it look like it's been painted white, but I'm assuming it's lased white...?

Neville Stewart
02-17-2016, 5:30 AM
Kev, it's not that it turns them B&W, the lowers are black anodized under the cerakote ( good catch ) and when you laze that it's turns white, when you laze it off, that's where you get the grey tone. I think he cut the space and applied something to reblacken it, all the other features were left untouched til a second run started taking them down to white or to grey. That's my guess after your keen eye. What do you think. Somewhat like this, you can see the white below the black and the grey below the white.