PDA

View Full Version : Way to attach 1/2" metal rod to a cabinet wall?

Chad Grenier
02-16-2016, 5:15 PM
I have a 1/2" diameter metal rod that I want to span from one side of a cabinet to the other, just like how a closet rod is hung, only a much smaller diameter rod. My wife will be putting rolls of ribbon on it so the rod will need to detach to put rolls on and off the rod.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? I know I could cut a hole in one end and a dado in the other to slide the rod in and out but I'd rather use some kind of hardware that can do this.

Mike Heidrick
02-16-2016, 5:23 PM
Metal conduit brackets? Drill a hole through one (or both) and the rod and pin it. Use a large cotter hairpin. That or if the hairpin looks is too much just drill and tap through the bracket into the metal rod and use a eye bolt or some type of screw with a handle. For just ribbon an embedded rare earth magnet in a wood block might hold it just fine.

David Hawxhurst
02-16-2016, 5:24 PM
make a couple of blocks out of 3/4" material with a half circle slightly larger than 1/2" for the rod to sit in. even simpler is a "v" cut for the rod to sit in.

Tom Ewell
02-16-2016, 5:42 PM
Similar to David's suggestion, think a smaller version of closet pole 'cups', one side has a full hole the other has the half circle.

Mark Wooden
02-16-2016, 5:47 PM
Curtain rod brackets- you can use inside mounts
http://thecurtainrodshop.com/search.aspx?q=inside%20mount

Sam Murdoch
02-16-2016, 6:49 PM
OR - just use something like these. http://www.amazon.com/TENSION-CURTAIN-ROD-680-18/dp/B003VF8RBK You could bore a shallow hole in each end for security but taking them in and out to reload would be so easy. Save your existing 1/2" rod for another project.

Paul Lawrence
02-17-2016, 10:26 AM
You didn't say if this "1/2 in. metal rod" is ferrous or not.

The problem with the "need to detach to put rolls on and off the rod." is that it is easy to accidentally dislodge the rod and all the ribbon rolls come tumbling down.

A retained magnet in each end will make that difficult to do, but not increase the refilling effort by much.

So, a simple milled or "V" notch at each end would be sufficient.