PDA

View Full Version : Where are the litle projects ?

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-16-2016, 4:29 PM
Did anyone recieve their E.A. Berg irons? And where are the litle projects? ;-)

Nicholas Lawrence
02-16-2016, 4:41 PM
I have not. I figured they got put on a slow boat.

I have started looking for some beech to make a plane with, but it seems to be pretty scarce. I may have to use maple or something. I am not holding my breath for the quality of the first attempt, but I am looking forward to trying to put one together.

ETA: I spoke too soon it seems. The package was waiting in the mail when I got home this evening.

Paul Saffold
02-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Not yet.......

Kees Heiden
02-17-2016, 1:50 AM
No, mine aren't in either.

Jim Koepke
02-17-2016, 2:21 AM
Mine came Saturday.

It is too thick to be used in my #3 without altering the mouth more than it already has been altered.

I may have a piece of junk #5-1/4 base and sole to try it in, but other things need doing first.

Have been thinking of trying to build a Krenov style plane.

The slow part is all of the other stuff that needs to be done before I can build a plane either from scratch or spare parts.

jtk

Oskar Sedell
02-17-2016, 3:36 AM
Mine has also arrived.

I plan to build a mid size jointer and will dimension a blank as soon as I find time. Then let it stabilize while finishing up some projects. Stay tuned!

Martin Loesing
02-17-2016, 5:19 AM
Mine arrived on Monday. It cleaned up nicely as it was in excellent condition, flattening the back was also really easy as it was slightly concave not unlike a japanese iron.
I gave it a quick spin in my Ulmia plane and it seems to work fine. I'm especially grateful that I received one with a cap-iron as I put to a steep an angle on my original one which lead to shavings being mashed into an accordion shape.
I plan on building a smoother with abutments holding the wedge, but I've yet to acquire suitable stock. Beech shouldn't be to hard to find over here in Europe, but I hope I can turn up something like apple or pear. I will probably do some prototypes in spruce first though.

Paul Saffold
02-18-2016, 1:58 PM
Received mine today. Will start looking for suitable wood for Krenov style plane.

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-18-2016, 4:39 PM
I will look foreward to see it. What kind of wood are you looking for. ?

Lasse Hilbrandt
03-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Im qurious to hear if there are more people who has got their irons ?

Malcolm Schweizer
03-02-2016, 2:47 PM
I just ordered a 2.5 x 2.5 x 12" piece of African Blackwood. That is going to make one gorgeous plane. Currently imagining something sleek and swoopy. I felt such a special iron should be mated to a very special plane.

I am also considering a piece of black and white ebony for the scrub plane, but not yet sure, and boy am I spending a lot of money here, so I'm first going to go down in the dungeon (old cistern converted to wood storage) and see what I have already on hand. I know I have quite a bit of large maple, and somewhere down there is a block of cocobolo. Hmmmm....

Lasse Hilbrandt
03-02-2016, 2:54 PM
Better wait and see if the irons arrive this time ;-)

Kees Heiden
03-02-2016, 4:01 PM
My irons did arrive! They took some detours (I made a mistake in my own adres!) were delivered at a house for sale without inhabitants. Anyway, I have them, and hope to find some time this weekend for my restauration project.

Yuriy Pasichnyk
03-02-2016, 4:44 PM
I received the scrub iron within few days after I ordered them. Thank you, Lasse. I am planning to build the Roughing Plane scrub plane from the "How to make woodwork tools" book written by Charles H. Hayward. Unfortunately the drawing in the publicly available copy of that book is not of the best quality. Does anyone have the original book? I am interested in a hi-res scan of page 13.

Im qurious to hear if there are more people who has got their irons ?

Kees Heiden
05-22-2016, 4:33 AM
As usual, this took a little longer, but here is my antique boxwood plane with one of the E.A. Berg plane irons I got from Lasse Nielsen. The plane originally came with a much too narrow blade that also was very soft, about unusable. I don't know who made this plane, there are no markings.

The blade from Lasse was 54 mm wide and I needed something close to 52 mm. So I had to grind it a bit narrower, taking cuts from both sides until I was happy with the fit. Here it is in the plane.

And here is is being tested on some pine.

The plane is still not quite ready yet. It really likes to clog on some cherry I was planing. Despite the huge mouth. So I have some more diagnosing to do.

Lasse Hilbrandt
05-22-2016, 2:04 PM
I looks good, what do you think can be the reason for the clogging ?

Jim Koepke
05-22-2016, 2:21 PM
Most of the time when one of my wood bodied planes jams it is the shaving catching on the wedge or an unfinished edge. Using the plane in an orientation so the travel of the shaving can be observed usually revels the spot that snags the shaving.

jtk

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-06-2017, 4:36 PM
Any updates ?

Oskar Sedell
01-07-2017, 3:48 AM
on the way. Found some good wood, but not dry enough. Soon ready, when a few projects are off the table.

Any updates ?

Nicholas Lawrence
01-07-2017, 3:54 PM
Any updates ?

Life has kind of gotten in the way. I have acquired some floats, but need to make (or buy) something to saw the abutments. I have some cherry sitting here that is pretty well acclimated, and have a good lead on a beech tree for 2.0.

How is your shop coming? The last post I recall you had a bench I think? Is it working out well?

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-13-2017, 2:03 PM
Not really. Like you, life has gotten in the way. Moved to Norway for a while and sold my house when we were up there, so now everything is stored away. Living at my parents in law´s house with no workshop, but looking for a new house with a decent workshop to buy