PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for LED 120 volt under counter lights

William Payer
02-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Moving into a new house where the electrician pre-wired for under cabinet lighting. Right now I have romex exiting under each bank of cabinets (in a temporary junction box).

I am looking at 120volt LEDs , trying to eliminate the need for multiple 12 volt step down transformers--(there are 5 isolated banks of cabinets, so piggy backing the lights is not possible)

Anyone have any experience with any particular units/brand that might fit this situation?

roger wiegand
02-16-2016, 3:22 PM
I'm very happy with these Phillips eW Powercore fixtures http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/essentialwhite/ewprofilep/

They come in a variety of light colors, the CRI is decent, and the fixtures are really tiny, so they can be mounted behind the front lip of the cabinet and be essentially invisible. The jumper cable system makes for easy installation of adjacent cabinets. They appear to be a quality product-- everything fits correctly the first time, parts snap together nicely, no sharp edges-- a welcome change from the previous fixtures from the Borg. They are dimmable, but I didn't install a dimmer switch. I used the 3000K ones, relatively white, but without any tendency to blue. We've been using them for two years now with no complaints of any kind. (I did kind of choke on the prices, but that's mostly forgotten now. I went through three sets of UCLs in my last house, I wanted ones that would last in this one. )

William Payer
02-16-2016, 3:33 PM
Thanks Roger! This gives me something to look at. I have searched the big box stores and found a few direct wire LEDs, but most have reviews indicating poor design/quality and/or difficulty installing.
I plan on installing only one set of under counter lights, so quality is important.

Peter Stahl
02-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks Roger! This gives me something to look at. I have searched the big box stores and found a few direct wire LEDs, but most have reviews indicating poor design/quality and/or difficulty installing.
I plan on installing only one set of under counter lights, so quality is important.

Big Box stores don't have much in the way of LED under counter stuff. Do a Google search for "120 vac LED", I got a lot of hits.