PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Bowl with Compass Rose in base

Chris Groves
02-15-2016, 9:48 PM
I have been turning this design for a few years for special wedding gifts for some of my friends who spend a lot of time around the ocean sailing and fishing. Once you build a jig to make the elements of the compass rose it is not too hard to incorporate it into the base of a segmented bowl. I have use holly and figured maple as the lighter wood and rosewood, cherry, Honduras mahogany, or walnut as the contrasting dark wood. Here is an example of one I made last summer

Steve Russell tucker
02-15-2016, 10:02 PM
Those are gorgeous sir!! thank you for showing them off !!

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 8:45 AM
331838Great job Chris .... I've make similar designs as bowl bottoms and experienced some movement issues on 2 or 3 of 10-12 I've made. Have you considered this or used any design factors to avoid movement / joint failures?

Tim

I have been turning this design for a few years for special wedding gifts for some of my friends who spend a lot of time around the ocean sailing and fishing. Once you build a jig to make the elements of the compass rose it is not too hard to incorporate it into the base of a segmented bowl. I have use holly and figured maple as the lighter wood and rosewood, cherry, Honduras mahogany, or walnut as the contrasting dark wood. Here is an example of one I made last summer

Chris Groves
02-16-2016, 9:08 AM
Tim- The ones I have made are not at home anymore but the sister and niece have not told me about any problems... that piece is the hardest piece to fit properly. Any thoughts on how to avoid that in future bowls with this design ?

Grant Wilkinson
02-16-2016, 9:33 AM
Very nicely done, Chris.

Allan Ferguson
02-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Really good looking bowl.

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 7:35 PM
Hey Chris,

It seems like the humidity is what causes the wood to shrink / expand ... I think next time I'll try making the pattern out of thinner material (perhaps 3/8") and glue it to another piece that's 3/8" thick piece that is the total diameter of the bowl bottom. The total thickness ends up being 3/4" ... maybe try what's known as a floating disc bottom.

Tim- The ones I have made are not at home anymore but the sister and niece have not told me about any problems... that piece is the hardest piece to fit properly. Any thoughts on how to avoid that in future bowls with this design ?

Chris Groves
02-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Good idea Tim... mine were glued to a maple or cherry base piece... the base was 1" tick and the pieces were about 5/8 then after turning about 3/8 to 1/2