PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 3000 honing question

keith micinski
02-15-2016, 9:41 PM
I just bought a used ws3000 and while it came with three glass discs and plenty of abrasives the one thing it didn't come with was a honing disk. I see there is a felt one and a leather one. It seems like the felt one would maybe be used for polishing multiple things where as the leather wheel looks to just hone the edge of a chisel or a plane blade. I am not looking for the sharpest tool in the world and even without the hone I was able to shave hair off my arm with the chisel after hitting it with the 400,1000,1200 and then a 3000 that is probably pretty wore out. Will the felt still give me a good hone while maybe giving me the option to polish a few small odds and ends?

Mike Henderson
02-15-2016, 10:10 PM
I just use the WorkSharp to establish the primary bevel and then put a secondary bevel on with water stones. Since the secondary bevel is so small, it's very quick.

Also, that way I can leave one diamond plate on the WorkSharp.

Mike

keith micinski
02-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Issue to use the scary sharp method and hated it even though I got good results. I figure now that I have the entire face of the chisel and the back already at 3000 I just have to touch up the micro bevel every once in a while.