PDA

View Full Version : Wire nuts

Peter Stahl
02-15-2016, 7:01 PM
After the wiring thread I saw these on Amazon and wondered if a Licensed Electrician would use there wire nuts?

Jim Koepke
02-15-2016, 8:41 PM
Over 40 years ago I worked for Pacific Bell Telephone Co. In our training class we looked at different connectors used by the 'phone company' over the years. One of them was similar to what is shown. We were told in one lightening storm a strike caused them all to pop open.

Of course, the question isn't whether or not an electrician would use them. The question is does code allow them.

jtk

Julie Moriarty
02-15-2016, 11:13 PM
I see this kind of connector on fluorescent fixtures now. They replaced an equally less impressive connector. As far back as I can remember, it's always been a standard practice to remove these hokey connectors and replace them with wire nuts. In some municipalities I worked in, the inspector would fail the inspection if he saw those things.

Would a licensed electrician use them? There probably are some who would, as long as it made their job easier. There can be a difference between someone who has a license and someone who takes their job seriously.

Jerome Stanek
02-16-2016, 6:23 AM
I tried them once but they tasted funny but really didn't like them as they don't seem to hold as good

Dan Hintz
02-16-2016, 9:23 AM
After the wiring thread I saw these on Amazon and wondered if a Licensed Electrician would use there wire nuts?

I've never seen them before... but if a licensed electrician uses them, they had better be approved by code. That's ALL that matters. There are very few non-wire nut products that are code-passable, but they exist.

Doug W Swanson
02-16-2016, 9:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQQ3SHO/ref=s9_hps_bw_g60_i13

I use these made by the same company (Wago). Simple to use and my inspector said he liked using them as well...

Wade Lippman
02-16-2016, 1:01 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQQ3SHO/ref=s9_hps_bw_g60_i13

I use these made by the same company (Wago). Simple to use and my inspector said he liked using them as well...

Those are fine, but they can't be taken apart. The lever ones can. I used them a couple years ago on some overhead boxes that would have been really awkward with wirenuts. (bifocals and all that...)

Matt Marsh
02-16-2016, 3:03 PM
Many new light fixtures come with these as standard equipment. They work fine on low powered loads.

Doug W Swanson
02-16-2016, 3:54 PM
Those are fine, but they can't be taken apart. The lever ones can. I used them a couple years ago on some overhead boxes that would have been really awkward with wirenuts. (bifocals and all that...)

No but you can still reuse them. Just twist the wire back and forth while gently pulling it out of the wire nut.

Jim Becker
02-16-2016, 8:27 PM
The replacement flush ceiling fixtures I purchased recently (Halo brand) have push in connections. No wire nuts or taping required. Of course, once you push them in...they don't come out...

Von Bickley
02-16-2016, 10:47 PM
As a retired electrician / instrument tech, I have used many wire nuts. I will continue to use the old style wire nuts and twist the wires together before I put on the wire nuts.

Wade Lippman
02-16-2016, 11:03 PM
As a retired electrician / instrument tech, I have used many wire nuts. I will continue to use the old style wire nuts and twist the wires together before I put on the wire nuts.

Those of us who haven't used 100,000 wirenuts appreciate something easier.
Actually I enjoy watching any professional. An electrician can put 4 wires together in a perfect twist in the time it takes me to pick up the pliers.

Peter Stahl
02-17-2016, 10:16 AM
I think I'll stay with traditional wire nuts for now. I do think a little pre-twist with lineman pliers makes a better connection for me than trying to just twist a wire nut on to loose wires but what ever works for you.

Jim Becker
02-17-2016, 8:00 PM
When I use wire nuts, I always pre-twist with electrician pliers tightly, trim the end evenly and then thread on the wire nuts.

Rich Riddle
02-17-2016, 8:17 PM
I started out in electronics in the military where smaller versions of those (much smaller) were used on avionics from time to time. We ended up replacing most with other options. I prefer the winged wire nuts vs just the barrel nuts and use about 200 to 500 a year. The winged ones prove more than sufficient.

Kevin Barnett
02-20-2016, 10:07 PM
We use them all the time. Better than wire nuts. Reusable as well.