PDA

View Full Version : resaw blade suggestions for new laguna 14/12

David Castonguay
02-15-2016, 6:58 PM
Folks:

I just purchased a Laguna 14/12 and want to buy a resaw blade. i have googled the subject and found lots of recommendations: people are very positive (or negative) about Laguna Resaw King, Lenox Woodmaster and other blades like the Woodslicer.

I'm expecting to do some resawing and a lot of general work with this saw. I'm OK with spending the extra cash for a carbide blade, I am retiring in August and plan to make a lot of sawdust, but also know I will not have a lot of discretionary cash after retirement....so I'd rather buy and cry once.

It seems for this saw i am limited to a 3/4" maximum blade width.

From checking the Lenox website this limits me to a Lenox Tri-Master.

I know that this topic is kicked around periodically, but I would like to get the best of the current wisdom from the collective.

3/4" or 1/2" for resawing?
Lenox or Resaw King?
Is carbide worth the extra coin?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

DOC

Tom M King
02-15-2016, 7:16 PM
I tried both the RS and TriMaster on my 14" saw before I found a larger bandsaw, both in 1/2". Cut quality is about the same, as is feed rate. I never used them long enough to find out how long they last, but can tell you that a Timberwolf resaw blade will cut for about 20 minutes before dulling, and that in soft wood. I would go carbide. I liked the Trimaster better since it was less finicky about finding the exactly right tension like the RS was.

I don't know that saw specifically, but I wouldn't go wider than a 1/2" blade on a 14" saw. The Woodmaster starts at 1" wide, so not for that saw.

Jamie Buxton
02-15-2016, 10:48 PM
Carbide blades are more expensive to buy than steel, but they stay sharp for so long that they're less expensive in the long run.

Laguna offers a 3/4" Resaw King.

Randy Viellenave
02-16-2016, 2:46 AM
I too just purchased the 14|12, so I spent the last couple of days playing with it. I bought the resaw king only (for now), and I don't know about the other blades, but this thing can make paper out of maple. I have only done 6" thick redwood and 3" maple so far, and it goes through with little effort. The 3/4 blade is quite sturdy, I have seen no drift yet. Guess I will once it gets dull...