PDA

View Full Version : X-Mas Ornament - what do you use for loop/eye on top of the ornament?

Ken Frohnert
02-15-2016, 5:29 PM
What do you guys use for the loop/eye on the top of your x-mas ornaments... wire if so what gauge and how do you make yours? Do you glue it in?
Or something else?

Tim Boger
02-15-2016, 5:35 PM
Hi Ken,

I bought a couple of 100 count packs of Chrome and Gold colored small eye screws from ebay... I recommend pre-drilling and I usually put a tiny bit of glue on the threads.

Tim

What do you guys use for the loop/eye on the top of your x-mas ornaments... wire if so what gauge and how do you make yours? Do you glue it in?
Or something else?

Paul Williams
02-15-2016, 6:44 PM
I was using very small gold eye screws that I bought at Ace Hardware. Then I switched to earring wires that I found at Michaels. I drill a very small hole. Put a drop of CA on the straight end of the wire and stick it in the hole. If need be I reshape the hook after the wire is in place.

Steve Bistritz
02-15-2016, 6:58 PM
it was recommended to me not to use bought eye screws any more ...so I make these instead...glue it in a hole and looks nice...not too big...this is stainless steel wire I had on hand...

Tim Boger
02-15-2016, 7:19 PM
Hi Steve ...any idea why it was recommended to not use bought eye screws?

Tim

it was recommended to me not to use bought eye screws any more ...so I make these instead...glue it in a hole and looks nice...not too big...this is stainless steel wire I had on hand...

Brian Brown
02-15-2016, 7:56 PM
Possibly because the tiny little threaded parts break off so easily while you are screwing them in. There is no way to get them out. Anybody have a micro tiny easy out? I like the decorative eyes from Craft Supplies.

Dubdubdub.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/62/5602/Turners-Select-Ornament-Eyelet-Screws-10-Pack?term=ornament%20hanger

The only problem with these is it is really hard to find a wire gauge drill bit small enough for them. THey are really small.

You can also use a small diameter copper or steel wire, wrap it around a tooth pick, give it a twist, and cut it off about 50% longer than you want the finished hanger to be. Then bend part of the wire tail up, leaving the wire just short of touching back on itself. This forms a barb so when you push it into the hole, the barb grabs wood, keeping it from coming out. A tiny drop of super glue is recommended for permanence.

Len Mullin
02-15-2016, 9:17 PM
Ken, most of my ornaments are made on the scroll saw, I've only made a few on the lathe so far. What I use, are tiny screw eye loops. I bought a thousand of each, they are silver and gold in color. They only cost me a total of $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping and they only took ten days to arrive. I purchased them through the Ali-Baba site, and the transaction was smooth and easy. I usually use a couple of hundred of them per year, so, buying them in bulk like this was a whole lot cheaper than buying them locally.
Len

Barry McFadden
02-15-2016, 9:23 PM
I was using very small gold eye screws that I bought at Ace Hardware. Then I switched to earring wires that I found at Michaels. I drill a very small hole. Put a drop of CA on the straight end of the wire and stick it in the hole. If need be I reshape the hook after the wire is in place.

Agree on this....have been using them for years on ornaments and earrings I laminate out of scrap wood...

Tim Boger
02-15-2016, 9:28 PM
Hey Barry ... got any pics of the earrings you make ?

Tim
Agree on this....have been using them for years on ornaments and earrings I laminate out of scrap wood...

Barry McFadden
02-15-2016, 9:35 PM
Hey Barry ... got any pics of the earrings you make ?

Tim

Sure Tim....here's some...

Len Mullin
02-15-2016, 9:38 PM
Tim, do you happen to remember what you paid for the 100 count screw eyes, that you purchased off of E-bay?
Len

Tim Boger
02-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Hi Len ... sorry, I don't remember as it's been a couple of years. They're dirt cheap ... buy a couple different sizes.

Tim
Tim, do you happen to remember what you paid for the 100 count screw eyes, that you purchased off of E-bay?
Len

Steve Bistritz
02-15-2016, 10:23 PM
His take was if you are going to create something you shouldn't buy cheap hardware to hang it from....so I changed and to be honest, the small loop just looks better...I make them sitting in front of the tv so I have them when I need them...

Tim Boger
02-15-2016, 10:28 PM
Hi Steve,

I never thought of the eye screws as being cheap in appearance. I'll take a closer look at the handmade versions. Regardless, to each his own.

Tim
His take was if you are going to create something you shouldn't buy cheap hardware to hang it from....so I changed and to be honest, the small loop just looks better...I make them sitting in front of the tv so I have them when I need them...

Peter Fabricius
02-15-2016, 10:29 PM
I use the same style as Steve in post #4. Buying the little screw eyes is expensive and they have a tendency to split the wood unless the exact correct pilot hole is drilled... Most of the commercial eyes are too big.
The little ones made like Steve does are free with a little scrap brass wire. They are tiny and do not overpower the ornament. A little CA in the hole and twist the eyelet into a 1/16" hole, easy neat, delicate and free. It only takes a few seconds to twist a few.
Peter F.

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 6:25 AM
Beautiful work there Peter, the stand is very cool as is the shape of the ornament .... the wire eyelet is very unassuming.

Tim

QUOTE=Peter Fabricius;2530411]I use the same style as Steve in post #4. Buying the little screw eyes is expensive and they have a tendency to split GE wood unless the exact correct pilot hole is drilled... Most of the commercial eyes are too big.
The little ones made like Steve does are free with a little scrap brass wire. They are tiny and do not overpower the ornament. A little CA in the hole and twist the eyelet into a 1/16" hole, easy neat, delicate and free. It only takes a few seconds to twist a few.
Peter F.[/QUOTE]

John K Jordan
02-16-2016, 8:19 AM
Or something else?

I'm quite happy with the tiny screw eyes I bought from a local hobby/craft store. They had a variety of sizes. I think those I have are have a loop about 5 mm in diameter. I buy nickel-plated and brass. Very inexpensive.

I always drill a hole by hand using a small finger chuck/pin vise. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RZUL1A

Concerning the comment about these breaking: My drill bit is sized to be just a few mills under the outside thread diameter. No glue needed. This will not break the shaft even in the very hard exotics I often use for ornament finials. Of course, always put the eyes in by hand - if hard to insert, stop!

I think these look great.

I do make wire loops, but not for the eyelets on the top of the ornament. I use them to connect the clappers on my hand bell ornaments.

331833 331834

To bend wire into a loop I use a small plier similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74/ref=sr_1_1

JKJ

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 8:21 AM
Exactly ... outstanding Ornaments as well!

I'm quite happy with the tiny screw eyes I bought from a local hobby/craft store. They had a variety of sizes. I think those I have are have a loop about 5 mm in diameter. I buy nickel-plated and brass. Very inexpensive.

I always drill a hole by hand using a small finger chuck/pin vise. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RZUL1A

Concerning the comment about these breaking: My drill bit is sized to be just a few mills under the outside thread diameter. No glue needed. This will not break the shaft even in the very hard exotics I often use for ornament finials. Of course, always put the eyes in by hand - if hard to insert, stop!

I think these look great.

I do make wire loops, but not for the eyelets on the top of the ornament. I use them to connect the clappers on my hand bell ornaments.

331833 331834

To bend wire into a loop I use a small plier similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74/ref=sr_1_1

JKJ

Hal Taylor
02-16-2016, 8:49 AM
I use fish hooks, ones with barbs on the shaft. I cut them just below the first barb, drill a hole just a little smaller than the shaft, and push them in with pliers. The barb makes it quite secure - no glue, no mess. The eyelet is small and dark which does not draw any attention to it. As Martha Stewart says - it's a good thing.

Thom Sturgill
02-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Several good ideas here. Last year I made 36 bird house ornaments for family. The year before it was close to thirty. These were intentionally 'crude' designed to look like a village 'hut'. Because of the 'visual weight' of the ornament, screw eyelets did not look out of place and that's what i used. On hollowed sphere type ornaments I either make a post on the cap piece which I drill side to side and loop fishing line through or drill into the cap and fasten fishing line with a knot on the inside.

I've never had a complaint about either type while jewelry type findings have come loose as the weight is generally more than they are designed to hold. I think I may look into the fish hooks though...

Peter Fabricius
02-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Great discussion here with different ideas. I think the screw eyes look great on the JKJ bell ornaments but the eye distracts from the delicate ornament shown by JKJ.
With different ideas it should be easy for all of us to select a eyelet style that is best suited to a particular ornament!
I used to use a piece of 12 gauge copper (house electrical wire) bent into a small loop and glued into ornaments but now make the very small twisted wire style.
thanks.
Peter F.

glenn bradley
02-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Very small screw eyes. Very inexpensive ($3 per 100) and very consistent in appearance (this can be good or bad depending on your use).

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 7:44 PM
Very interesting idea .... I'll be looking into this further.

I use fish hooks, ones with barbs on the shaft. I cut them just below the first barb, drill a hole just a little smaller than the shaft, and push them in with pliers. The barb makes it quite secure - no glue, no mess. The eyelet is small and dark which does not draw any attention to it. As Martha Stewart says - it's a good thing.

Len Mullin
02-16-2016, 8:31 PM
Tim, they're not cheap around here, I think I paid $4.49 for a pack of ten. That's not cheap, that's why I bought from the Alibaba site. I got 2000 pieces for $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping, that works out to be right around $.01 per piece which is a whole lot cheaper than I pay locally.
Len

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 8:50 PM
I went through Ebay.... no problems, cheap prices and free delivery.

Tim, they're not cheap around here, I think I paid $4.49 for a pack of ten. That's not cheap, that's why I bought from the Alibaba site. I got 2000 pieces for $20.00 plus $5.00 shipping, that works out to be right around $.01 per piece which is a whole lot cheaper than I pay locally.
Len

Marvin Hasenak
02-16-2016, 9:08 PM
I use 20 ga craft wire, you can buy it in every color of the rainbow and then some. I cut 3" long piece, and then twist them using round nose craft pliers. The round nose pliers makes for a nice round hole. I can adjust the size of the hole to whatever I want. Then drill and CA them in the top.

You can get heavier gauge wire and make fancy scrolls, etc., without doubling the wire and again insert in to a hole with CA glue.

I have also used Christmas ornament hooks, just cut off the looped bottom end and glued into a drilled hole. These look cheap, not recommended. But fast, cheap and simple.

Tim Boger
02-16-2016, 9:37 PM
Great looking work Barry, I'm thought about learning how to do similar projects. Nice collection!
Tim
Sure Tim....here's some...

Reed Gray
02-17-2016, 12:31 AM
Well, haven't made any yet, but saw Ashley Harwood last week up in Salem. She demoed her sea urchin ornaments and those dainty finials. She drills out the top piece with a 1/16 inch bit and threads fishing line through it for a loop because the hooks just didn't look right or took away from the lines and appearance. Interesting thought.

robo hippy

Jeff Bower
02-17-2016, 10:35 AM
These (http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Wood-Crafting/Hardware-Tools/12mm-Nickel-Plated-Screw-Eyes/p/29340) work great for me and my dad...cheap too!

roger wiegand
02-17-2016, 2:30 PM
I usually turn a small knob at the top then drill a hole through sideways and use a loop of fishing line as a hanger. Used the screw eyes early on but thought they were a pain to install and didn't trust them.

Frank Miles
02-20-2016, 2:29 PM
7/16" Brass Screw Eyes - CraftParts.com (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi92PDEiIfLAhUY0WMKHaD8AI8QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.craftparts.com%2F716-brass-plated-screw-eyes-p-2496.html&usg=AFQjCNGFCTB8pTesMs7hHu56bZwZFLRbzQ&bvm=bv.114733917,d.cGc)