PDA

View Full Version : Quarter sawn

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-15-2016, 3:09 PM
Correct me if im wrong.

If one want to quarter saw a large log of wood. First one cut the log in half. The halfs are then cut into two other halfs which then gives four quarters.
Then each quarter is put on one of the sawn faces and then cut from the bottom, then turned on the other sawn face, and again cut from the bottom until there is no more to cut ?

Does it make sense ? and is it the correct way to quarter saw ?

glenn bradley
02-15-2016, 4:04 PM
The sawyers on here will have more to say but, basically:

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-15-2016, 4:42 PM
Hmm the picture of "true" quarter sawn is almost Impossible to do on a woodmizer

glenn bradley
02-15-2016, 5:17 PM
Yeah, there are variations but, basically quartersawn has the growth rings 60 to 90 degrees from the face. Here's a good read (http://www.hardwooddistributors.org/blog/postings/what-is-the-difference-between-quarter-sawn-rift-sawn-and-plain-sawn-lumber/)from the Hardwood Distributer folks that shows a variation.

Cody Colston
02-15-2016, 5:24 PM
There are different methods for quartersawing with a band mill. Personally, I quarter the log and saw the quarters separately which gives me a mix of quarter-sawn and rift-sawn lumber with a few TVG boards.

I put one of the quarters on the mill with the center up and saw out the pith. I then rotate the quarter 180 degrees and saw a flat on the bark side. Next, place the bark side flat against the stops and saw through and through.

There are a couple of other sawyers here who use a different method and hopefully they will reply.

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-15-2016, 6:11 PM
There are different methods for quartersawing with a band mill. Personally, I quarter the log and saw the quarters separately which gives me a mix of quarter-sawn and rift-sawn lumber with a few TVG boards.

I put one of the quarters on the mill with the center up and saw out the pith. I then rotate the quarter 180 degrees and saw a flat on the bark side. Next, place the bark side flat against the stops and saw through and through.

There are a couple of other sawyers here who use a different method and hopefully they will reply.

im not sure excatly what you mean. Is there a video that can show that way of milling ?

Charles Randal Smith
02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
This is my quick-and-dirty way of trying to get a reasonable amount of quarter sawn wood from a log. It is intended to minimize the amount of waste as much as possible. I use a Wood-mizer LT40 as my horizontal band sawmill.
Here are the steps:
1) Cut off the top third and set it aside.
2) Flip the log over, and cut off another third and set it aside.
3) With the remaining central section, cut it horizontally, yielding quarter sawn (or close thereto) boards.
4) Take the top section and mount it vertically, taking horizontal cuts through it. The top and bottom portions are rift sawn (good for things like legs) and the central portion is quarter sawn.
5) Do the same for the bottom section.
I know it is not perfect (and neither am I). But it works for me and for the people who get me to cut logs for them.
And speaking of imperfect... this drawing is something I just created to reply to this thread, using an app I just downloaded and have never used before. So please don't judge my graphics skills too harshly.
Charles

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Thankyou Charles it is a simple way to do it and easy understandble

Cody Colston
02-16-2016, 8:13 AM
im not sure excatly what you mean. Is there a video that can show that way of milling ?

http://alterra-wv.com/wood/quartersaw.htm

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-16-2016, 8:31 AM
Thankyou Cody, that was very informative

AL Ursich
02-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Charles,

That is how I do it.... good job !!!

AL