PDA

View Full Version : Best Small Router?

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 2:00 PM
Right now I am working mostly with hand tools and own three routers, an older Craftsman that works very well for what it is, and two porter cable 690 routers one of which is in my router table permanently. I would like a smaller router for trimming laminate, doing inlay work, and performing other light tasks.

I have heard good things about both the Ridgid trim Router and the Festool 574399 Smaller router.

Reviews have been favorable to the DeWalt Router with the plunge base, but I dislike DeWalt battery tools and am hesitant to give them a shot on a router...even though my DeWalt Miter saw is flawless.

What in everyones mind is the best small nimble router for trim work? Biggest selling points for me would be visibility for inlay work and a smooth plunge mechanism that is easily adjustable. I like everything about the PC 690 other than its size and slightly awkward manners plunging.

Richard McComas
02-15-2016, 2:18 PM
I have no complaints with my Dewalt's

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/Shop/dewalt611Large.jpg

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 2:46 PM
I have no complaints with my Dewalt's

Good to know. Like I said, the DeWalt reviews very well.

Ben Rivel
02-15-2016, 2:50 PM
Bosch Colt is also super popular.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 2:56 PM
Bosch Colt is also super popular.

I have had Fantstic luck with Bosch tools. Will check this out.

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-15-2016, 3:01 PM
Under heavy use, the bearings in the dewalt go bad, and take the plastic bearing housing with them. Parts are only about $10 to replace, but it's a pain. I've replaced about 4 bottom bearings in the last 2 years. I think we have about 8 routers.

Just picked up a Makita, and it seems really nice so far.

Clint Baxter
02-15-2016, 3:18 PM
I like my Bosch Colt. Had to buy the plunge base separately as it did not come in a kit when I bought mine. I purchased the installers kit with the three bases, (standard, tilting and offset.) The regular base works ok but is a bit of a pain to get your depth set correctly. i lent my router to another individual and it came back with the collet lock stripped. Can no longer use the push button lock. I ended up grinding a wrench thinner and use it on the flats machined into the shaft. Works ok but not as convenient as the push button. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another though.

I've heard only good things about the newer Dewalt unit. One feature that seems to be popular is the built in LED lighting. I have an older Dewalt trim router and much prefer the Bosch over it.

You can buy either the Dewalt or Bosch in kits with plunge and regular bases. Price is pretty much comparable between the two. Wouldn't think you'd go wrong with either of them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clint

mreza Salav
02-15-2016, 3:28 PM
I have Bosch colt and am happy overall although there are minor things that people (including me) complain about it (micro depth adjustmen being one).
From what I have seen Festool is among the top ones (really good but pricy). Next is Bosch and Dewalt, both get good reviews.

Cary Falk
02-15-2016, 3:32 PM
I like the Ridgid but it does not come with a plunge base. I have the DeWalt 611 kit and love it for shelf pins, but I feel it is a little big for inlay. For inlay I like a Dremel on a plunge base. I have done inlays with a dermal and a homemade base. I was too cheap to buy a plunge base.

Chris Padilla
02-15-2016, 3:35 PM
Cisco is pretty good. ;)

I have a Bosch Colt with all the fixins...like it just fine.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 3:42 PM
I like the Ridgid but it does not come with a plunge base. I have the DeWalt 611 kit and love it for shelf pins, but I feel it is a little big for inlay. For inlay I like a Dremel on a plunge base. I have done inlays with a dermal and a homemade base. I was too cheap to buy a plunge base.

Interesting, I did not know a plunge base was made for the dremel.

Dan Masshardt
02-15-2016, 4:00 PM
Rockler has the dewalt kit including plunge base on sale for $160 right now free shipping.

I'm planning to get it.

Robert Delhommer Sr
02-15-2016, 4:19 PM
Dewalt 611.

William Adams
02-15-2016, 4:31 PM
Thrilled w/ my Makita RT-0701 --- curious about the MLCS Rocky 30, which looks to be a rebadged variant.

Jim Becker
02-15-2016, 4:31 PM
I have the Dewalt DW618 kit with all three bases and have always been pleased with it. While I don't use it very much (because I like my Festool routers better), I do pull it out for use with the dovetail jig and for edge work where a fixed or D-handle is more comfortable to handle. It's been a quality tool for me.

pat warner
02-15-2016, 5:19 PM
Ridgid R2401 x far.

Richard Shaefer
02-15-2016, 6:33 PM
My vote for the Dewalt DW615. Great little router. The old Elu/Dewalts are right up there with Festool, IMO

Mike Hollingsworth
02-15-2016, 7:08 PM
My vote for the Dewalt DW615. Great little router. The old Elu/Dewalts are right up there with Festool, IMO

Great Swiss Made Plunge Router, but not so small. IMO Festool is a step above. I have both.
Milwaukee 6515 is my favorite hand held.
Bosch is best for the MultiRouter cuz it takes a 3/8 collet.
Porter Cable 7518 3hp lives in the Router Table.

Rick Contonio
02-15-2016, 7:19 PM
DeWalt factory authorized outlet (which I believe has no connection at all to Dewalt) has the 611 kit with the plunge base on sale for $149 with coupon code save20bucks. Free ground shipping too.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/dewalt-heavy-duty-1-25-hp-max-torque-variable-speed-compact-router-combo-kit-w-led-s

Jim Dwight
02-15-2016, 7:45 PM
I would examine the chuck on the DeWalt and base my decision between it and the Bosch Colt on that factor. I have a Colt and I like it but the collet slips occasionally. Maybe it's just the nature of 1/4 bits but I don't think my 690s slip that way even with 1/4 shank bits. If the DeWalt collet is better, it would be worth a try. But the Colt is a pretty nice router (I use a ground down wrench to change bits and don't love the height adjust either - but then the 690 isn't deluxe for height setting either. I don't have the plunge base or any accessory base. I use it to put a little chamfer or round over on things mostly.

Mike Henderson
02-15-2016, 7:50 PM
I've owned both the Bosh colt and the DeWalt trim router. After using the DeWalt with the plunge base, I sold the Colt and bought another DeWalt. It's much easier to adjust the DeWalt and I like the light at the work. The Colt was really hard to adjust.

Mike

Bill Ryall
02-15-2016, 8:07 PM
I like my little Ridgid. Nice as a laminate trimmer/really small router.

I also have a pair of Makita RT0701C compact routers. I have found that they are my go-to routers for smaller bits.

Bill McNiel
02-15-2016, 8:14 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;2530329]I've owned both the Bosh colt and the DeWalt trim router. After using the DeWalt with the plunge base, I sold the Colt and bought another DeWalt. It's much easier to adjust the DeWalt and I like the light at the work. The Colt was really hard to adjust.

DITTO - My experience and feelings exactly, but I still covet the Festool.

keith micinski
02-15-2016, 9:48 PM
Love my little rigid and don't miss a plunge base at all.

Todd Hyman
02-15-2016, 10:38 PM
Rockler also has the DW611 on sale for $160.

Hilton Ralphs
02-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Don't get too worked up over the brand, just get one that has a base that takes the same guide bushings as your other routers.

Bill Stephenson
02-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Dewalt 611 with plunge base.

Dave Zellers
02-16-2016, 12:52 AM
I liked my 611 PK so much I bought a second 611 motor so I would have both a fixed and a plunge in that size.

Couldn't be happier. If you go that route, get the 'D' plate to go with the fixed base.

Chris Hachet
02-16-2016, 6:34 AM
Thanks for all of the responses!

Jon Endres
02-16-2016, 7:50 AM
The DeWalt DWP611PK kit is the ONLY DeWalt tool I own. I got it after reading many negative reviews on the Bosch Colt, and it's difficulties in adjustability. I also looked at the Ridgid and without a plunge base it wasn't for me.

John K Jordan
02-16-2016, 9:21 AM
I have way too many routers, including the PC and Festool and others. So of course, I had to go buy another one. I wanted a small router for occasional small tasks.

I bought the Ridgid for one reason: it fit nicely in my hand! This was important since one thing I have used it for is routing out letters. Being able to grip it easily gave me better control.

JKJ

Chris Hachet
02-16-2016, 10:47 AM
I have way too many routers, including the PC and Festool and others. So of course, I had to go buy another one. I wanted a small router for occasional small tasks.

I bought the Ridgid for one reason: it fit nicely in my hand! This was important since one thing I have used it for is routing out letters. Being able to grip it easily gave me better control.

JKJ

I find it very ergonomic as well....did not know that a plunge base was unavailable for it. I have some thinking to do.

Dan Russ
02-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Purchased the Ridgid trim router and returned it the same day. Literally took 10 minutes of fussing with the wrench to change a bit. The base housing doesn't have enough clearance to get even half a turn on the nut to loosen the bit, then it's turned to such an angle that you can't get the wrench back on to give it another turn. It also over heated extremely fast. I have tons of Ridgid tools and this was a let down. Picked up the Dewalt P611 and love it. A abuse the hell out of it and it's still going strong without a hitch. Highly recommend!

Cary Falk
02-16-2016, 11:58 AM
There are 2 models of the Ridgid. The older one got very hot. The new one not so much.

Daniel Greening
02-16-2016, 12:40 PM
When the new Bosch Colt router (GKF125CEK) comes out I am definitely going to pick one up with the plunge base, as my 1617EVSPK is now installed in my router table. Supposedly they have improved the adjustment mechanism, which was by far the most complained about feature of the earlier Colts.

Curt Harms
02-17-2016, 7:11 AM
I have a Bosch Colt. I would like the plunge base but it costs more than I paid for the factory refurb router. Playing around with the depth adjustment I discovered that it's possible to use the depth adjuster wheel with the lever locked. The adjustment on the lever lock nut has to be just so. Too tight and the fine adjust wheel won't turn. Too loose and the router motor slips. Pretty fussy but it's doable. Also don't forget to give the motor a twist after setting the rough depth adjustment and before locking the lever. I was reminded of that this past weekend :o.

glenn bradley
02-17-2016, 8:30 AM
The plunge base makes the Colt the router it should have been. I waffled between getting the plunge base or dumping the router and going with the DeWalt. I went with the plunge and it has been great. The Bosch fixed base is still a pain but remember, when it first came out reviewers all thought it was fabulous because it was so great ;-) the Pat Warner base is a requirement IMHO:

The plunge has a nimble form factor . . .

. . . and accepts a lot of Bosch's cool accessories (although this makes it appear ginormous):

The last pic is after routing the slot with the vac hooked up.

Bill Huber
02-17-2016, 8:48 AM
I have had the Ridgid, Bosch and now the Dewalt.

The Ridgid, I got it and within an hour I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It got so hot I could not hold it. Took the new one home and give it a try and it was the same thing, to hot to hold, returned it.

Bosch Colt, worked great and it is a nice size, the only thing was the base, it was just hard to adjust and no plunge base. I called Bosch 3 different times and ask if they were ever going to come out with a plunge base and was told no.

Now the Dewalt 611 came on the market an I got one, sold the Bosch and have never looked back. The Dewalt is a little larger then the Bosch but then it also has a little more power. The plunge base is great and is just as good as any plunge base out there. The fixed base is also very good, easy to adjust and not that much larger then the Bosch. I do like the lights in the base of the router.

331941 331942 331943

Joe Adams
02-17-2016, 9:10 AM
I had a Bosch Colt for years and sold it after I picked up a Dewalt 611. I love the plunge base and LED lights. I also use it hand held with the fixed base quite a bit. I'm going to get a second one to dedicate to my inlay kit.

Ben Rivel
02-17-2016, 2:12 PM
Funny thing about that Bosch Colt. I have one that I havent even opened yet. Every time I think about opening it I think man, with the Bosch plunge base and vacuum attachment on it the total cost was around $160 (LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSPK-5-6-Amp-1-Horsepower-Variable-Speed/dp/B009ZQUB4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455735996&sr=8-2&keywords=bosch+colt+plunge) & LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR012-Collection-PR011-Plunge/dp/B00BD5G93S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455735996&sr=8-3&keywords=bosch+colt+plunge)), and its significatnly larger, so why wouldnt I just use my Bosch 1617EVSPK kit with its vacuum attachment?! Then I ask why did I even buy this thing. And there it sits...

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2016, 11:56 PM
I don't know about "best" but, I love my DWP611PK.

I like my single speed simple PC690 also for it's 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

Chris Hachet
02-18-2016, 7:34 AM
The plunge base makes the Colt the router it should have been. I waffled between getting the plunge base or dumping the router and going with the DeWalt. I went with the plunge and it has been great. The Bosch fixed base is still a pain but remember, when it first came out reviewers all thought it was fabulous because it was so great ;-) the Pat Warner base is a requirement IMHO:

The plunge has a nimble form factor . . .

. . . and accepts a lot of Bosch's cool accessories (although this makes it appear ginormous):

The last pic is after routing the slot with the vac hooked up.

That is impressive dust collection!

Ben Silver
02-18-2016, 9:31 AM
Cisco is pretty good. ;)

I have a Bosch Colt with all the fixins...like it just fine.

Cisco is what I am most familiar with, but if you are on a budget and are willing to get your hands dirty (in a manner of speaking) you can save a lot of money, if not time, by finding solutions elsewhere that will simply require more time behind the keyboard learning their configuration details and tweaking to what you expect.

As for woodworking I wish I had more experience with routers, the Craftsman bargain-basement router/table combo was a mistake I will not make twice and the Stanley router my father gave me is excellent, but old and quite heavy for the power available. Both are 1/4" collet rather than 1/2" so I am still looking for something with enough power for the projects I want to get into.

Joe Adams
02-18-2016, 10:38 AM
I should add to my recommendation for the Dewalt 611 that the dust collection adapters work very well.

DND615 Fixed
DNP616 Plunge

They're available for under $10 each.

David Bassett
02-18-2016, 1:34 PM
I should add to my recommendation for the Dewalt 611 that the dust collection adapters work very well.

DND615 Fixed
DNP616 Plunge

They're available for under $10 each.

+1, with a caveat. Both work well with conventional cuts, but dust collection during climb cuts isn't effective with the plunge base.

I found this cutting slots, (are they dados or grooves when cut in plywood?), the other day. Chips everywhere on the first pass when I had both a climb & conventional cut edge. Virtually no chips escaped on the second pass with a conventional cut for the second edge to set the width of the groove.

Chris Hachet
02-18-2016, 2:19 PM
I don't know about "best" but, I love my DWP611PK.

I like my single speed simple PC690 also for it's 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

I am using two PC 690's right now. They are wildly better than the Craftsman routers I used for years.

Jim Becker
02-19-2016, 8:03 PM
Cisco is pretty good. ;)

LOL...clever, Mr. P...although I would have a different opinion. heh...heh...

Kevin Groenke
02-20-2016, 9:57 PM
+1 on DW611, have a Colt, haven't used it since we got 2 611's and a plunge base, I would not recommend the Bosch to anybody unless they're into inaccuracy and frustration (will Bosch replace all the crappy bases they've manufactured if a new/improved version comes out?)

Microfence makes a nice plunge base (http://microfence.com/portable-threeaxis-mill-p-29.html) for the Colt but the price is pretty high.

Lee Valley's new dremel plunge base (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=73720&cat=1,43000,51208) looks good for inlay and similar fine detail work, I have one on the way.

The StewMac rotary tool base (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Inlay_and_Pearl_Cutting/Precision_Router_Base/Precision_Router_Base.html) is another option though the new Lee Valley offering is stepping it up IMO.

-kg

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-15-2016, 5:21 PM
Looking to buy a new router to replace a Craftsman "professional"

I don't use a router much, generally just for chamfers or to round over edges on general household projects.

Looking at the DeWalt 611, but also saw this Hitachi: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-2-25-HP-Variable-Speed-Combo-Fixed-Plunge-Corded-Router/50425858

any thoughts on the Hitachi? I like having more HP for about the same $$ as the DeWalt.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
09-15-2016, 6:27 PM
I'm not familiar with that Hitachi, Shawn, but it's the right type to consider, IMHO. The so-called "2.5hp" variable speed combos offer the best value I think. Mine is the DeWalt 618 kit. The DeWalt DW611 is nice, but it's less capable than the DW618 or the Hitachi you ask about or the PC 690/PC 890 kits, etc.

Kevin Womer
09-15-2016, 7:07 PM
Have Bosh Colt, but only use it for quick round overs of chamfers. I do like it a lot.

Larry Copas
09-15-2016, 7:58 PM
I can review that Hitachi router kit. I bought it 8 years ago because Amazon had a stupid cheap price on it and I needed another router for house construction. When I build a house all the walls are built on the deck completely sheathed with OSB. I than cut out all the openings using a router with a pattern bit. I also cut the OSB on the gable ends using the same method. The Hitachi did it all without a whimper and I pushed it hard.

I also use it to plunge cut shelf holes by the hundreds as the plunge is pretty good.

The only down side is the stupid square collet nut...maybe they have changed it over the years since I bought my router. Over all it is an excellent value for the money.

Having said that, I suppose I have another dozen or so routers for shop use. I like a few better than the Hitachi but to be fair a couple were three or four times the price. If I build another house the Hitachi will most certainly be the starter.

ken masoumi
09-15-2016, 9:06 PM
I have had the Ridgid, Bosch and now the Dewalt.

The Ridgid, I got it and within an hour I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. It got so hot I could not hold it. Took the new one home and give it a try and it was the same thing, to hot to hold, returned it.

Bosch Colt, worked great and it is a nice size, the only thing was the base, it was just hard to adjust and no plunge base. I called Bosch 3 different times and ask if they were ever going to come out with a plunge base and was told no.

Now the Dewalt 611 came on the market an I got one, sold the Bosch and have never looked back. The Dewalt is a little larger then the Bosch but then it also has a little more power. The plunge base is great and is just as good as any plunge base out there. The fixed base is also very good, easy to adjust and not that much larger then the Bosch. I do like the lights in the base of the router.
I just bought a Dewalt 611pk,would really like to buy an edge guide for it but I've heard the DW6913 (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00002232W/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i3_r?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=35NF6ACJT64J4JT1NMAM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b420c7ed-0dc7-4f64-beca-b1a9f89477f6&pf_rd_i=desktop) does not quite fit the DW611,if that's true, would you know what other edge guide would fit in it?

Cary Falk
09-15-2016, 10:57 PM
I just bought a Dewalt 611pk,would really like to buy an edge guide for it but I've heard the DW6913 (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00002232W/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i3_r?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=35NF6ACJT64J4JT1NMAM&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=b420c7ed-0dc7-4f64-beca-b1a9f89477f6&pf_rd_i=desktop) does not quite fit the DW611,if that's true, would you know what other edge guide would fit in it?

Sounds like this is the one you need.https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DNP618-Guide-Compact-Router/dp/B004AJB2UO/ref=pd_sim_469_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004AJB2UO&pd_rd_r=BYJ0W66YTSFJQW4JSVBR&pd_rd_w=zvIfo&pd_rd_wg=0auVs&psc=1&refRID=BYJ0W66YTSFJQW4JSVBR

Pete Janke
09-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Happy DW611 owner. I bought and use the dust collection and edge guide accessories.

ken masoumi
09-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks Cary, it looks more like a universal edge guide that fits most compact dewalt routers but as long as it fits my DW611 it should be good.

Chris Fairbanks
09-16-2016, 12:51 AM
LOL...clever, Mr. P...although I would have a different opinion. heh...heh...

This Chris is a Cisco router guy as well. 25 years now of those damn things. So I think you are out numbered Jim. :)

Jim Becker
09-16-2016, 3:29 PM
This Chris is a Cisco router guy as well. 25 years now of those damn things. So I think you are out numbered Jim. :)

LOL Repeat after me: "Shortest Path Bridging" ...and then look over at the signage on that nice stadium visible from the Cisco HQ in San Jose/Santa Clara. :D 20 years "here" as of mid-next month and more than a decade elsewhere prior to that.