PDA

View Full Version : Help with cope & pattern set

jim mills
02-15-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm making some 1" thick doors with a 6 piece freeborn set, and want to use ~1/2" ply for the panels. I'd like to cut a 1/2" x 1/2" groove & not rabbet the plywood. I called freeborn & they say I can use their adjustable groover stacked on top of the stock groover to achieve the ~1/2" wide groove. Sounds perfect, but an expensive option. Looking for a lower cost option. Any ideas? I've got a good collection of spacers & shims. These doors are tongue & groove with applied moldings. Thanks!

glenn bradley
02-15-2016, 12:22 PM
What other bits do you have? I have an arbor and slot cutters that can stack beyond 1/2". These are not too expensive and would come in handy for many other things. Wait . . . Freeborn? You're talking spindle shaper right? If you also have a router table and have a tall fence you could use a 1/2" straight bit and run the rails and stiles on edge. You could also use a freehand router and a straight bit with an edge guide.

lowell holmes
02-15-2016, 1:06 PM
Will this do?

http://woodworker.com/14-straight-shaper-cutter-34-bore-mssu-150-846.asp

jim mills
02-15-2016, 1:13 PM
Will this do?

http://woodworker.com/14-straight-shaper-cutter-34-bore-mssu-150-846.asp

Nope, forgot to mention 1 1/4" bore. Plus, I need adjustability to compensate for the undersized dimension of the plywood.

lowell holmes
02-15-2016, 1:27 PM
Nope, forgot to mention 1 1/4" bore. Plus, I need adjustability to compensate for the undersized dimension of the plywood.

Good Luck :)

J.R. Rutter
02-15-2016, 3:05 PM
You could get a set of the undersized center groover/cope trimmers and a set of shims. That will also let you run 5.5mm, 5.2mm, or 5mm cabinet door grooves.

jim mills
02-15-2016, 4:03 PM
You could get a set of the undersized center groover/cope trimmers and a set of shims. That will also let you run 5.5mm, 5.2mm, or 5mm cabinet door grooves.

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying get a 5mm groover set, and stack it on the 1/4" groover, then add shims to desired thickness?

J.R. Rutter
02-15-2016, 6:43 PM
Not sure I follow you. Are you saying get a 5mm groover set, and stack it on the 1/4" groover, then add shims to desired thickness?

Yes, or one of the other sizes (they sell 5.5, 5.2 and 5.0), depending on your plywood. Do the same with the tenon trimmer in the cope stack - same spacers.

Mark Wooden
02-15-2016, 8:00 PM
Why are you opposed to rabbeting the panel? If you just don't want to see the rabbet, drop the groove further from the face, put the rabbet up and apply the moldings over the joint. Just a WAG, never tried it with those particular cutter sets.

Jeff Duncan
02-15-2016, 9:26 PM
If your using an applied molding that completely covers the panel/S&R joint then a perfect fit is not necessary anyway. If the plywood is too narrow just shim it tight from one side. If too large then rabbet the edge to fit, or run the stile a second pass to remove just a bit more. The bonus is not having to spend any more money as the cutters you already have should accomplish this. With that style of door you've been given a way to "cheat"....I suggest you make use of it;)

good luck,
JeffD

jim mills
02-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Agreed. There are several ways to go about this. I just thought it would be nice to make a frame with a groove to fit my 1/2" plywood, and not mess with shimming, ranbeting, etc.

jim mills
02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Just to follow up on this topic. I ended up using a couple of straight cutters, a 3/8" spacer, and some shims to get my cope cut, then used a dado & shims in the TS to cut the sticking. Took a bit of trial & error, but not too long before I got it dialed in. Since this is a one off piece (only 8 panels) I didn't mind the extra work, but it would be nice to be able to do this easier in the future. Maybe just a hang up on my part, but I like the idea of not rabbeting the ply. Adjustable groovers may be in my future, but not this time.

lowell holmes
02-19-2016, 3:12 PM
That door can be made with a Shaker pattern set of shaper bits. I think you are in trouble with the 1 1/4" bore. Infinity has Shaker pattern sets.

My shaper uses 1/2" and 3/4" bore bits. I've successfully shimmed shaper cutters with carboard to adjust groove height.

I'm thinking two 1/4" bits could be stacked to get the 1/2" your looking for.

I see you accomplished it.:)