PDA

View Full Version : Pecan Bowl

Glenn Hodges
09-12-2005, 7:23 AM
This 12 in. wide X 4 in. high pecan bowl came from a tree blown down last year from hurricane Jeanne which visited South Georgia Sept. 27. It was mild compared to Katrina. Pecan is a tough hard wood but the tree has a shallow root system and is one of the first trees to be blown down in high winds. The older the tree the better the figure in the wood. This was an old tree.
The finished used was 5 coats of a tung oil, spar poly, turpentine mixture, then buffed. I apply a coat of this mixture, wipe it off, wait 24 hours, hand rub the finish with synthetic steel wool, then apply another coat.

Dick Parr
09-12-2005, 7:42 AM
That is a wonderful looking bowl Glenn. I love the shape and the ring at that top sets off the lip of the bowl.

I have heard a lot about pecan but have yet to find any around this area.

Great Job Glenn :)

Michael Stafford
09-12-2005, 7:52 AM
Fine looking bowl, Glenn! You always find a beautiful bowl in every piece of wood! :D I love the character of pecan, a beauty!

Kurt Aebi
09-12-2005, 8:05 AM
Excellent, Glenn!

You always seem to find the right shape for the character of the wood!

Beautiful!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-12-2005, 8:23 AM
Glenn, that is a wonderful looking bowl! Glad you could create something so nice out of damaged trees.

Chris Barton
09-12-2005, 8:34 AM
Great bowl Glenn! I think I will have to find some old pecan trees when I visit family next time in Mobile, AL. Should be plenty to choose from post Katrina.

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 8:37 AM
Great looking bowl. Nice form and love the detail on rim and foot!:D

Carole Valentine
09-12-2005, 9:03 AM
Wonderful, Glenn! The beads on the rim and foot and the accent line add an exquisite touch to an already nice form.

Mark Cothren
09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Very nice bowl! I also really like the foot and rim work here.

Thanks for the picture!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-12-2005, 8:28 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not that your bowl isn't excellent - IT IS.

I was given a piece of Pecan 12' long, but only 5" X 3" and cracked all the way through, down the grain line. I'll have to stick to making a few pens out of it!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
09-12-2005, 9:20 PM
Another beauty Glenn. I like that rim and foot. Always happy to see your posts for great ideas.

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
09-13-2005, 6:15 AM
Glenn: Love the wood and the design! Excellent work.

Glenn Hodges
09-13-2005, 6:52 AM
I appreciate the positive comments and feedback. Much of what we do in turning is problem solving, and this is an example. The bottom of this bowl was to thin. Rather than loose the bowl I took another piece of pecan, turned it into the shape you see on the bottom. I attached it to the bottom with epoxy glue centering it as best I could, and let it set up overnight. I then reversed turned the bowl and cleaned up the bottom as I normally would trying to get the bottom to look like a bead to match the bead like the one on the lip of the bowl. I burned the line below the bead in the lip to match the line where the bottom was added so they would match. The boss said it works, she likes it, so it is considered a keeper. It means a lot to me that you all like it before you knew everything I did to this piece. What do you all think of the bowl now that you know the rest of the story?

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
In turning there are NO mistakes, just design changes. Those work very well.

Bruce