PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2016, 11:03 PM
A Kiwi friend sent this to me in an email. It could come in handy someday.

http://www.heartrescuenow.com/ (http://www.heartrescuenow.com/)

Erik Loza
02-15-2016, 10:22 AM
The gym I teach at requires a valid CPR certification. I hope I never have to do it but the actual protocol is pretty straightforward. The AED machine actually gives you audible commands as to whether or not shock is required. The biggest issue I could see for the citizen-responder would be determining wether a victim is actually having a cardiac event or, for example, just fainted. You wouldn't want to start chest compressions on someone who only passed out. I just re-upped my certifiaction the other day and they included protocol for ID'ing stroke victims now, as well.

One thing they taught us in class was that as a citizen-responder, you yourself never call 911 as the first step. You direct another person to call 911 while you assess the condition of the victim. I personally would encourage folks to take a class like this even if you don't need it for your job. Just good knowledge to have.

Erik

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2016, 9:32 PM
I personally would encourage folks to take a class like this even if you don't need it for your job. Just good knowledge to have.

ErikGood answer!

Daniel O'Neill
02-16-2016, 12:55 AM
One thing they taught us in class was that as a citizen-responder, you yourself never call 911 as the first step. You direct another person to call 911 while you assess the condition of the victim.

Erik

Absolutely have someone else call 911. You look the person in the eye too and point or whatever just make sure they know "he's talking to me".

Random question did they tell you that you have to break the ribs & sternum connection? That blew my mind when the last guy told us that. I've taken the class several times and this was the first that I heard of it. It makes sense but seems terrible.

Erik Loza
02-16-2016, 10:39 AM
...Random question did they tell you that you have to break the ribs & sternum connection? That blew my mind when the last guy told us that. I've taken the class several times and this was the first that I heard of it. It makes sense but seems terrible.

Yep! They told us that you should hear it crunch. 2+" depth of compression is what they wanted. They also told us that breaths are not that critical now. If you can, "yes", but he said chest compressions were priority #1. I guess if the responder is icked-out by putting their mouth on someone?

Erik

Doug W Swanson
02-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Bystander CPR is a huge lifesaver in many situations. I've been an EMT/FF for 6 years and learned alot about CPR. Now days it's not about breathing but all about chest compressions. 100 compressions per minute and don't stop for breaths.

Sing the song 'Staying Alive' by the Bee Gees while doing compressions and that's about 100 compressions per minute.

Early intervention is very critical on most cardiac arrest patients!

Erik Loza
02-16-2016, 2:19 PM
I'm in pretty fit shape and it surprised me how quickly you get tired of giving 30 compressions at a time. It's nothing like TV, where they are just gently pushing down. Your whole upper body is like a piston on the victim's chest. I mean, if I had to, "sure", but you'd be pretty tired if you had to do that non-stop for say, 5-10 minutes, until EMS arrived.

Erik

Rod Sheridan
02-18-2016, 8:11 AM
Erik, my youngest daughter is a Nurse, often in Emerg.

She has weekly tales of being on top of the gurney doing compressions and breaking ribs.

Yes it's hard work, the last CPR course I was on, the mannequin had telemetry so they could measure your compressions, and frequency. It's tough to do that much work at the correct rhythm...............Rod.

Rick Potter
02-18-2016, 12:41 PM
I did CPR hundreds of times as a Fireman, from babies to rest home calls. In my experience, you very well MAY crack the sternum, especially in older people, but definitely not in ALL patients.

Like Erik says, you get tired pretty quick doing compressions in a very awkward position, and your back starts to hurt quickly also.

About the breathing part. When AIDS was first recognized, around 1982, responders were very reluctant to do that anymore, and various valves and fixtures were invented. Fortunately, we always had a resuscitator as part of our gear, but had to thoroughly clean the mouthpieces and airways after every use. It was quite a time of upheaval in the EMS field.

Paul Phillis
02-18-2016, 10:29 PM
I was taught that there is about 8 minutes of oxygen stored in the blood vessels that's not moving about. The brain starts to die after three minutes, so the important thing is to get oxygenated blood to the brain. Compressions first.