PDA

View Full Version : Delta bandsaw BS150LS

Bill Antonacchio
09-12-2005, 6:40 AM
Hello to all,

Being a "registered" lurker, I thought I would try to pick the collective brains of the creekers on a small topic. I am looking for a small bandsaw with decent resaw capability and throat depth. My two constraints are size and price. Since I am literally a "winter sunshine" woodworker I have very little space to store the bandsaw when not in use and have a limited budget also.

I happened to notice Bernie Weishapl a while back mention the Delta bandsaw BS150LS, but have been looking for it both locally and online. Only a few places seem to carry it. Considering size and price I thought it had decent specs for a small bandsaw. It is a 10" throat with a 7" depth and .5hp motor.

My big question, if it is ok compared to the smaller Delta BS100 and the 10" Rikon on sale at Woodcraft why isn't it more readily available? My local hardware store in West Palm says they can order it for me with a price of $199.00 + tax.

Yea or nay?

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Bill,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had a BS100 before I got the BS150. I had a friend we went to visit who had the 150. It fit my situation so well I sold the 100 and bought the 150 thru Amazon.com. I think I pm'd you about it. I just got done this last weekend resawing some ash wood and used a timberwolf 1/2" 3tpi blade. I also did some cutting with the 1/2" X 3tpi woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware. Both blades cut just fine. The Woodslicer is a little faster and has a smaller kerf. I cut a log down to a about 7" H X 11"W X 4' L. I got 10 boards from it that were 1 1/8" X 7" X 4'. As far as resawing goes it is slower than with the big boys but as you said and I am in the same situation size and space was my biggest consideration. I took a 1 x 6 oak and cut my wife some veneer for a project she was doing. Took my time then jointed the side I cut down to 1/8". It worked really slick. I put the 1/8" blade on it and my wife uses it as a scroll saw. She likes it so well we sold the scroll saw. She told me if I ever do get a bigger one that I can't sell this one. I also made my own fences for it. So in my opinion this BS150 with Timberwolf and Woodslicer blades does really well.

Bernie

Bill Antonacchio
09-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Bernie,

I figured for this size band saw I would have to give up a lot of things over the big boys. If speed is the primary concern that is something I can live with.

I have to wait for the hurricane season to end to get my woodworking tools out of the self storage so I can set up on my patio! Then I only have to dodge the rain squalls!

I just got done this last weekend resawing some ash wood and used a timberwolf 1/2" 3tpi blade.
Where did you get the blade?

It sounds like the price I have been quoted locally is reasonable, too.

Thanks for your feed back.

Regards,
Bill