PDA

View Full Version : old hand tool catalogs from the 1990's

Clarence Martin
02-14-2016, 3:53 PM
There once was a mail order hand tool catalog from the 1990's that is not longer in business. I remeber they sold the COMPLETE line of Stanley hand tools, including the Stanley and Clifton Multi Plane. They had Wood workbenches from Sweden, Some brand of wood bench planes and every other hand tool you could need. Does anyone remember that company ? Thought they were from somewhere in the South.

Craig Regan
02-14-2016, 3:59 PM
Garret Wade?

Tom M King
02-14-2016, 4:06 PM
I'm sure I would have bought something from them, but can't think of the name. I don't consider the 1990's being "old".

Leichtung? Tools on Sale?

Bart Nadeau
02-15-2016, 1:36 AM
sure sounds like Garret Wade.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 9:01 AM
I think you are referring to garret Wade. I had one of their catalogs until a few years ago, threw it out...maybe I should have kept it.

Steve Schoene
02-15-2016, 9:10 AM
Garrett Wade is not defunct as a quick Google will reveal. I still get an occasional e-mail. They did leave Manhattan and now do have a store in Brooklyn. They don't control the building so there are some odd start and lunch times I recall. Not as solid a woodworking inventory as the older store. Tools for Working Wood is also in Brooklyn and in my mind feels more like the old Garrett Wade.

Paul F Franklin
02-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Leichtung as I recall had a fairly limited focus. Tools on Sale (which as I recall was a division of the now defunct seven corners ace hardware) was wonderful...I bought many of my first power tools from them. Their catalogs were more functional than artistic (like Garret wade's) but they had an extensive selection. There was also tool crib of the North, which was the online face of Acme tools and was more focused at contractors. The online business was bought out by Amazon a number of years ago, but have now returned online using the Acme tools name. Constantines was another company that had more of a presence back then. They are still around and are still a good source for veneering related items in particular. Finally there was Woodworkers Supply of New Mexico; now doing business as just Woodworkers Supply, I believe. Those are the main catalogs I recall from that era....

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Garrett Wade is not defunct as a quick Google will reveal. I still get an occasional e-mail. They did leave Manhattan and now do have a store in Brooklyn. They don't control the building so there are some odd start and lunch times I recall. Not as solid a woodworking inventory as the older store. Tools for Working Wood is also in Brooklyn and in my mind feels more like the old Garrett Wade.

I find Tools for Working wood to be more practical in their offerings than the old Garret Wade.....

Bill Houghton
02-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Possibly John Alden? I never knew where they were located - somewhere in the U.S.

I wish, now, that I'd had more money then - they sold a lot of the British Stanley tools that no one else was importing. I could have had a Stanley 90J bullnose rabbet plane, new, for $20 - a lot less than I paid for a used one more recently.

And, like others here, I have trouble thinking of the 1990s as "old." Heck, my sons were still teenagers.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2016, 12:16 PM
I had some old Woodcrafters catalogs from the late 1970s and early 1980s. I do not recall if the were given to the store in Dublin or if they may still be in storage.

They carried the Clifton made Stanley 45 equivalent. The one in their store was on sale at about $600.

jtk

Patrick Chase
02-15-2016, 12:30 PM
I think you are referring to garret Wade. I had one of their catalogs until a few years ago, threw it out...maybe I should have kept it.

Sounds like Garrett Wade / Garry Chin back in the era when Leonard Lee was working with him to the point of leveraging his procurement (http://www.leevalley.com/us/gifts/christmasQuestionPopup.aspx?p=46993), and Thomas Lie-Nielsen worked directly for him (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-Nielsen_Toolworks).

Clarence Martin
02-16-2016, 1:37 PM
What happened to the Stanley Combination plane ? I know Stanley tools in England made some fancy version of it during the 1990's

Jim Koepke
02-16-2016, 1:49 PM
What happened to the Stanley Combination plane ? I know Stanley tools in England made some fancy version of it during the 1990's

Electricity...

jtk