PDA

View Full Version : Did some trading today..

steven c newman
02-14-2016, 1:53 PM
Two of my "Extra" wood bodied planes for these two things? Will get better photos after a bit, just got back home..
Screwdriver is labeled as a "Western Auto H 1443" Might be a Stanley made?
Eggbeater is stamped on the crank as a Millers Falls No. 2-01 Merely needed a bit of oil to get it running. Jaws had been blued? Cap is a touch on the loose side (winter dryness?) As for the other side
Not too sure about that black plastic knob, yet. may have to research that item. Wasn't any bits in the handle (drat!!)
The dollar bill was for the screwdriver, the drill was a straight-up trade.
Took my grandson along, he also found something he wanted.....total expense? $4 and out the door...

Now off to the land of all things Millers Falls, and find out when this drill was made. Wonder about that Western Auto tool.....how long has that been around?

steven c newman
02-14-2016, 2:51 PM
Well, maybe the "H" on the screwdriver handle would be for "Handyman" 1443?

As for the drill..start date was in 1968, replaced the #2 A drill. End date was...1984 or so? Plastic knob MIGHT be OEM? One bolt on the crank is blued, the other is bright, and a Phillips head. May replace the Phillips one, ID I can find a decent match for the blued one. Chuck works just fine, needed a little oil is all. may have to refinish the head stock? Price tag on the drill was $20.....

Nicholas Lawrence
02-14-2016, 3:12 PM
Nice drill. I hear those things never have to be recharged. . .

steven c newman
02-14-2016, 3:17 PM
Just the operator....

Gary Cunningham
02-14-2016, 3:43 PM
Nice drill. I hear those things never have to be recharged. . .

And they are variable speed.
:rolleyes:

steven c newman
02-14-2016, 8:36 PM
Got a few better pictures of these two items I traded for today...
Have oiled the moving parts, to get things moving a bit better..
That black knob seems to be OEM, black plastic. Seems this drill is from between 1968, and 1984. Supposed to "replace" the No.2 A.
Handle is hollow, and just my normal luck, empty. Thinking the "H" in the screwdriver's model nuber is for "Handyman" as is the rest of the number...1443. Made for Western Auto. Been awhile since THAT store was in business around here.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2016, 8:47 PM
Made for Western Auto. Been awhile since THAT store was in business around here.

They went through some mergers ending up with Sears. Sears sold off most of it. The brand dissolved in about 2003.

Did you know there is a connection to Pepperdine University?

jtk

steven c newman
02-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Ok, I'll bite....how is a small department store connected to Pepperdine?

I remember back in the early 60s....walking around at Christmas time, and looking at the Lionel Train sets..Dad also bought a lot of stuff from there. Almost like going to Montgomery Wards..

Screwdriver is 8" long, overall. The drill is one heavy beastie. I might look around for a better bolt for the crank......black, slotted head. Would look much better than that silver Phillips headed thing in there now.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 9:02 AM
And they are variable speed.
:rolleyes:

Mine only seems to run on slow...

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 9:03 AM

I remember back in the early 60s....walking around at Christmas time, and looking at the Lionel Train sets..Dad also bought a lot of stuff from there. Almost like going to Montgomery Wards..

Screwdriver is 8" long, overall. The drill is one heavy beastie. I might look around for a better bolt for the crank......black, slotted head. Would look much better than that silver Phillips headed thing in there now.

Ohh...and as usual.... nice finds...

steven c newman
02-15-2016, 12:47 PM
They also had a saw vise up there....$25, with a slab of wood attached to it. About 10 "lumber" saws sitting outside on a rack. Very rusty, too. A few braces sitting around. Screwdriver was in a big plastic tub, marked "$1 each" there was a second tub. Selection is starting to get a bit skimpy.....I may have to let the place sit for a while, to see IF they get a new supply of rustiness in.

BTW: they still had that Union No.7c sitting there @ $65.......

Jim Koepke
02-15-2016, 12:51 PM

Trimmed from Wikipedia:

Western Auto was started in 1909 in Kansas City, Missouri, by George Pepperdine, who later founded Pepperdine University.

jtk

Chris Hachet
02-15-2016, 1:54 PM
They also had a saw vise up there....$25, with a slab of wood attached to it. About 10 "lumber" saws sitting outside on a rack. Very rusty, too. A few braces sitting around. Screwdriver was in a big plastic tub, marked "$1 each" there was a second tub. Selection is starting to get a bit skimpy.....I may have to let the place sit for a while, to see IF they get a new supply of rustiness in.

BTW: they still had that Union No.7c sitting there @ $65.......

Methinks I will hold out for a Stanley. I may get by with a #6 and an 8, as I ahve a #8 Ulmia that works very, very well to joint lumber.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2016, 2:13 PM
Methinks I will hold out for a Stanley. I may get by with a #6 and an 8, as I ahve a #8 Ulmia that works very, very well to joint lumber.

At $65, a found in the rough Stanley #7 would be on the high side. If it was fixed up and ready to go, then that might be reasonable.

Union planes are decent tools. IMO, the lateral adjuster is their weak spot. There isn't the collector interest like there is with Stanley planes.

jtk

steven c newman
02-15-2016, 5:57 PM
Union No.7 was intact, might have needed the iron sharpened. Didn't see any cracks on it. metal or wood. IF it is the one just before Stanley bought Union out.....lateral is about the same as Stanley's. other than the end. Beyond that, looked nice and clean. Dusty, but clean.

Might have been the same age as the Stanley No.7c I got there awhile back. The Stanley is a type 9. Union might be a type 3?

steven c newman
02-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Ok, an update on the drill. The bolt that holds the crank in place on the gear. it has a Phillips head. I checked the threads on the bolt....1/4" x 20....ok. While snooping around in Menards today, picked a 1/4" x 20 bolt for about $0.49 or so. It was the shortest they had, but at 3/4" long was still too long. It did have a slotted head, though. Installed a nut onto the bolt, grasped the two with a pair of visegrip pliers. Ground a bit off, dunking the bolt into a cup of water as I went. Got close to the length I wanted....champfered the end of the threaded part. Then used a screwdriver to back the nut off the bolt, cleaning the threads. Test fit? Just a 1/2 of a thread too long, tip of the bolt is not hitting anything, might just call it good. Might give the bolt's head a splash of black paint, to match the other bolt. The three jawed chuck will even hold hex ended bits. Very little gear noise, either. Knob on the crank is a bit sticky, yet. Might be a wear thing....IF I use the drill long enough, maybe it will loosen the knob a bit?

did these just use regular drill bits, or did they use drill points?

Nicholas Lawrence
02-17-2016, 6:00 AM
The older models came with the fluted style bits (I do not know the proper name). They are just a straight length of steel with a point on one end, and flutes on the sides for the shavings to escape. I agree with you that this one looks newer, so I would not rule out the possibility that they started shipping with the modern style bits in the 70s or 80s. I have seen a lot of them with modern bits in the handle, but have no way of knowing if that is what they came with or if they are replacements.

Mine work just fine with both the modern bits and the flutes.