PDA

View Full Version : Broken Cabinet Hinge Replacement

Steve Milito
02-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Can anyone identify this hinge model and what parts I need to to fix it?331599331600

Doug Garson
02-14-2016, 1:21 PM
Do you have a Home Depot, Lowe's, Lee Valley or other supplier nearby? Why not just take the broken one on and see if they have a replacement?

Steve Milito
02-14-2016, 1:56 PM
Because none of the box stores came up when I googled Mepla, nor do any of them list Mepla or Grass hardware on their websites.

Doug Garson
02-14-2016, 2:39 PM
I may be mistaken, someone in the business could correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea of the Euro style hinges is standardization. I don't think you need to replace with the same brand, just the same style. Can't hurt to take the old one on and see if the dimensions match, even if you have to replace both hinges on the door with the broken hinge. I've got an assortment of Euro hinges and while I haven't tried to interchange parts from one brand to another they all are interchangeable as a unit (ie I can remove brand x and install brand y using the same holes in the cabinet).

Tom M King
02-14-2016, 3:00 PM
You might need to replace them all on that door, but it shouldn't be much trouble finding something that will work. http://woodworker.com/c-Hardware-hinges/concealed/

Steve Milito
02-14-2016, 3:07 PM
I may be mistaken, someone in the business could correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea of the Euro style hinges is standardization. I don't think you need to replace with the same brand, just the same style. Can't hurt to take the old one on and see if the dimensions match, even if you have to replace both hinges on the door with the broken hinge. I've got an assortment of Euro hinges and while I haven't tried to interchange parts from one brand to another they all are interchangeable as a unit (ie I can remove brand x and install brand y using the same holes in the cabinet).

I think your right but I wasn't sure.
I

Mike Cutler
02-14-2016, 3:35 PM
http://www.gkwoodworking.com

Gary carries Grass hinges and drawer slides. You may need to send him a photo of it removed.

Bruce Wrenn
02-14-2016, 8:53 PM
Looks like a 160-170 degree hinge. Because pivot points are a little different from brand to brand, you most likely will need all hinges on that door to be same brand. Several years back, my supplier switched from Hettich to Blum. Replacements have been fun.

william watts
02-14-2016, 9:46 PM
Yesterday I replaced a Mepla hinge on our kitchen cabinets. Like you, I was unable to fine a supplier for Mepla so I took the hinge to our local lumber yard. They have experienced people and were able to find a substitute Salice brand hinge that was a close fit. The new hinge looks different, and except for the screw spacing fit fine. They did advise to replace both hinges.

The 35mm hole is standard, but the angle of opening, the amount the door overlays the frame and probably other specs can be different. They had a lot of different styles. I know nothing about euro hinges only what I learned at the lumber yard. YMMV at the big box stores.

Mepla may be marketed to the trade only or out of business.

Jerry Miner
02-15-2016, 2:52 AM
Euro hinges are not "standardized" exactly. Hole patterns differ between manufacturers---but the 35mm cup hole is pretty standard.

I think your hinge is an obsolete Mepla hinge. Mepla is now Grass (absorbed in a merger).

To find a replacement, it would help to know: door thickness, amount of overlay, degree of opening, and hinge bore distance.

331717 331718

Steve Milito
02-15-2016, 9:31 AM
Euro hinges are not "standardized" exactly. Hole patterns differ between manufacturers---but the 35mm cup hole is pretty standard.

I think your hinge is an obsolete Mepla hinge. Mepla is now Grass (absorbed in a merger).

To find a replacement, it would help to know: door thickness, amount of overlay, degree of opening, and hinge bore distance.

331717 331718
Thank you. This is from an old TV hutch and was damaged by movers who tried to take the hinges off. I believe the door panel is 3/4", it is inset but has moldings that stand proud of the opening. I'll need to take measurements later this week because I'm out of town. How would I specify the hinge once I have measurements?

Jerry Miner
02-16-2016, 2:55 AM
You can look through the info on Grass, Blum, and Salice hinges at : cabinetparts.com (http://www.cabinetparts.com/) or WWHardware (http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-hinges/cabinet-furniture-hinges/standard-european-hinges)

I use mostly Blum, but all three are good brands. Each manufacturer has its own "system" of hinges and base plates, with different degrees of opening, different attachment methods and different closing (self-close, soft-close, "free swinging") options.

Understanding the "system" can take a little time, but basically you need to get the right combination of hinge and baseplate to perform as you desire.

If you wanted to replace your hinges with Blum 170 degree, screw-on mount, self-closing hinges, you could order a pair of B071T6650 with 9mm plates (B175H719)

The hinge bore distance will affect the space ("reveal") between door and cabinet opening. A BD of 4-5mm will result in a reveal of about 1/8" (3mm)---with some adjustment available (+/- 1/8")

Jay Jolliffe
02-16-2016, 6:37 AM
Does the hinge have a number on it. I have some Mepla hinges that look a lot like it. The number will be on the cup that attaches to the door.

Steve Milito
02-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Thanks, both of those are helpful.

Steve Milito
02-28-2016, 2:18 PM
You can look through the info on Grass, Blum, and Salice hinges at : cabinetparts.com (http://www.cabinetparts.com/) or WWHardware (http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-hinges/cabinet-furniture-hinges/standard-european-hinges)

I use mostly Blum, but all three are good brands. Each manufacturer has its own "system" of hinges and base plates, with different degrees of opening, different attachment methods and different closing (self-close, soft-close, "free swinging") options.

Understanding the "system" can take a little time, but basically you need to get the right combination of hinge and baseplate to perform as you desire.

If you wanted to replace your hinges with Blum 170 degree, screw-on mount, self-closing hinges, you could order a pair of B071T6650 with 9mm plates (B175H719)

The hinge bore distance will affect the space ("reveal") between door and cabinet opening. A BD of 4-5mm will result in a reveal of about 1/8" (3mm)---with some adjustment available (+/- 1/8")

Thank you Jerry. I replaced two hinges with Blum hinges. There are some minor differences and it required a few small adjustments but it worked great.

Jerry Miner
02-28-2016, 8:50 PM
You're welcome. Glad it worked out. (It's always nice to hear that our advice here is actually helpful)