PDA

View Full Version : Used lasers- pro and con

art baylor
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
I'd like to generate some discussion on buying used lasers. Or not.

It seems lasers don't lose that much value as used, compared to a lot of equipment, but my budget is thin.
I understand you pretty much sacrafice support and run part replacement risk.
What are some of the technological changes (hardware and software) in the last 2 years, 5 years that are must haves.

What are some of the real life experiences and recommondations?

Thanks everyone for any input.

Art

James Stokes
09-12-2005, 6:28 AM
I recently bought a used Epilog legend 100 watt. I paid less than half what a new one would cost. I have no problem with it. But there is no warrantee with it, nor is there a sales rep to go to with any problems I may have.

This laser is 3 years old, on the newer ones the drivers are a little better and there are a few tech upgrades. It is a lot like buying a used computer. I do not think I would trust any thing older than 3 years.

Pete Thomas
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I used purchased a used Universal X-660 60Watt from a seller on E-bay, and saved about $12K-$14K over a new system. I contacted the Universal sales and technical system and had no problems getting the latest drivers as well as PDF manuals. I even got the name and number for the local sales/technical rep, which I haven’t had to call.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The system is about 3 years old and just needed a good cleaning, the unit came from a small home shop and seemed to have less hours then if it were in a production environment. I’ve been having a great time engraving everything from rocks, to cardboard.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

-pete

Chuck Burke
09-13-2005, 2:57 PM
Art,
If you are in need of a warranty you can get a used laser with a six month warranty from www.usedlasers.com
The biggest change you would find in technology I think is the addition of a usb port on the laser. As for software, I know several large production shops still running corel nine. That should tell you something.
Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Chuck ( don't buy cheap tools) Burke
American Pacific Awards.