PDA

View Full Version : Urgent/Time-Sensitive - Festool Power Cable - Help in central NJ (near Somerset)

Rich Seifert
02-13-2016, 5:47 PM
Hello folks. I drove up to Somerset, NJ (from Fairfax, VA) to install a drawer and new slides in my mom's kitchen. I packed a truck worth of tools, but screwed-up royally ... I have a Festool TS-55 but I grabbed the wrong power cable. The Festool power cable I has a protruding "center-nub" on the back side. The TS-55 saw doesn't have a slot to accept the "center nub." This is a long shot but I'm hoping someone sees this and can help me out with a loaner while I work on her cabinets for a few hours on Sunday and Monday (Feb 14 and 15) ... I'll return your cable before I leave, or I'll send you a brand new one - your call. Many thanks! Sincerely, Rich

Greg R Bradley
02-13-2016, 5:56 PM
If you don't come up with one, you could just grind off the extra protruding bump so that the 18ga cable will go into the saw that is designed for the 16ga cable. Just be aware that you now have a cable that is a bit too small so don't make the saw strain.

Rich Seifert
02-13-2016, 6:23 PM
Greg - thank you ... I've got the same question currently posted on the FOG forum - this was the question I had when someone told me to cut the nub. I'm reluctant to do it but I guess I can ... Hoping someone nearby coincidentally sees my plea for help ... Else, I guess I'll cut it tomorrow. Many thanks! Rich

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2016, 7:40 PM
You could buy a power cord. Festool's web site says there are several Festool dealers within ten miles of Somerset.

Bill Orbine
02-13-2016, 8:19 PM
You could go to Home Depot and rig something up if you don't want to damage/revise/modify your investment. I'm in Somerset county, but I'm away. Wish I could help you. Most (probably all) of the Festool dealers are closed on sunday.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-13-2016, 8:26 PM
I have a ts55 but I live in Queens, NY. Not too far of a drive but you're more than welcome to borrow mine. Private message me if you're interested.

Justin Meyer
02-13-2016, 10:49 PM
PM sent, maybe 2.

peter gagliardi
02-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Yup, just cut off the nub, problem solved. I have "fixed" several of my cords this way.

Rich Seifert
02-14-2016, 8:49 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have a cord. Justin hooked me up this morning. At the same time, Raj (on FOG) was going to meet me later this morning. Dimitrios in Astoria, NY (where I grew up as a kid) also offered assistance. Thanks again for all of your time and assistance! I learned something about Festool power cords too. :-) Happy Valentines Day! - Rich

Rich Seifert
02-14-2016, 10:20 PM
This job wouldn't have been possible (at least easily possible) without the MFT and TS-55 (enabled by the power cable that Justin provided). I had to build-up a lot of blocking to create a sturdy frame/structure inside of her poorly constructed builder's grade cabinets. Mom's two drawers had come loose given the plastic rear-mounts had broken and her heavy top drawer full of knives and "kitchen stuff" was basically waiting to crash. I needed to build-out 1-1/2" on the left side, and 2-1/2" on the right side. So I was ripping a lot of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood and cutting it to size with cross-cuts. I don't want to think about how I would have gotten it done without the MFT and TS-55, let alone pocket screws. A very heavy-duty Blum soft-close is securely controlling the top drawer now, while I've added a center drawer which is mounted to the blocking. All's good with the world. I'm very tired from getting up and down and contorting inside of the cabinet, but it's done and mom's ecstatic. I'm happy too... I'll be returning Justin's cord tomorrow morning. Coincidentally, he texted me this evening to say his wife said I can come by to borrow any of his tools whenever I'd like so long as I keep bringing donuts! :-) It was a good day. Thanks again to everyone that assisted--Raj for offering to drive the cable half-way, Dimitrios in Astoria, and obviously Justin for sharing the cable. Absolutely awesome. Thanks again! Rich

Lee Schierer
02-15-2016, 8:38 AM
Is this an awsome site or what. I had a similar experience an few years ago where I needed some tool help with a project and found some willing friends here.

Bill Orbine
02-15-2016, 2:07 PM
Out of curiosity, what town in Somerset, NJ were you working? Glad you got some assistance!

Jerome Stanek
02-15-2016, 3:11 PM
Festool sounds like apple products that use different cords every time a new one comes out.

Matt Day
02-15-2016, 3:51 PM
Festool sounds like apple products that use different cords every time a new one comes out.

I think there's only been the 30 pin and lightning cable in the past 9 years.

Justin Meyer
02-15-2016, 6:47 PM
Out of curiosity, what town in Somerset, NJ were you working? Glad you got some assistance!

I didn't realize it until you asked, but Somerset is a CDP (census designated place) within Franklin Township. Everyone around my area refers to it as though it is a municipality of its own...USPS, too.

Bill Orbine
02-15-2016, 8:50 PM
I didn't realize it until you asked, but Somerset is a CDP (census designated place) within Franklin Township. Everyone around my area refers to it as though it is a municipality of its own...USPS, too.

Used to live in that area closer to Middlebush. Off Demott Lane.

Greg R Bradley
02-15-2016, 8:52 PM

I think there's only been the 30 pin and lightning cable in the past 9 years.
Facts are going to be irrelevant to someone that will fabricate a plot out of two different cords. Apple has had two for their phones TOTAL over decades. Festool has two TOTAL, one for light duty tools like sanders and one for heavy duty tools like saws and routers. I guess the junk at the BORG is OK who sell extension cords in 5-6 different gauges as there is no preconceived bias against those. I guess we should ban 240v also.