PDA

View Full Version : 3520b Inverter

Steven Green
02-13-2016, 10:55 AM
I just got my new 3520 out of the carton and the inverter kicks out every time I plug it in. The lathe is turned off there are no faults in the wiring. Anybody had this happen before? If so what was the fix? The screen on the inverter reads Lu which I can't find in any troubleshooting manual or error codes.

kevin nee
02-13-2016, 11:31 AM
There is a reset button on the back of mine. I hope that is all it is.
i have had good luck with Powermatic tech support. Good luck!

Dwight Rutherford
02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
If you just got it out of the carton, before trying to do a fix on my own, I would call Powermatic first thing. It has a guarantee you don't want to void.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Sorry for this but I must ask. Did you check the wiring of your receptacle? Are you getting 220 single phase volts?
faust

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2016, 11:54 AM
LU correlates to low voltage.

As Faust suggested....check your wiring and the input voltage!

Here's a link to the manual for the PM3520B inverter http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/VFD-S_manual_en.pdf

Beyond that don't go into the inverter itself, you might void your warrantee.

Steven Green
02-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys I was beginning to suspect a voltage problem already but you've confirmed it. The machine is wired correctly I've been doing this stuff for 45 years, so now I'm wondering about the breaker or the voltage on one or the other of the legs coming into the subpanel. More to follow I'm sure

Steven Green
02-13-2016, 1:18 PM
Ok I checked at the plug and have 120 volts on both sides. Could this be a faulty inverter?

Brad Adams
02-13-2016, 1:48 PM
Do you have 220 volt between the two leads?

Steven Green
02-13-2016, 2:42 PM
I've got 249 between the leads

Joe Kaufman
02-13-2016, 4:33 PM
Do you actually have the ground connection to the inverter? Using the common as ground can sometimes cause problems.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-13-2016, 7:26 PM
Is this hardwired or are you using a plug and jack?

Are the correct leads hot?

Steven Green
02-14-2016, 8:10 PM
I'm using common as ground and it's hardwired Ken. I cut the plug out as just one more thing to be wrong

John K Jordan
02-14-2016, 9:20 PM
If you haven't done so, perhaps meter the line voltage at the terminal screws inside the inverter box. I think I would check all internal connections as well. I've seen all kinds of things over the decades.

Doc Green has a bunch of stuff concerning PM3520, under "PM Electrical"

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html#PM

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
02-14-2016, 11:12 PM
With power applied, make a voltage check from a bare metal spot on your lathe chassis to a known good ground.

If you read "0" volts ac....and you should......turn off power and contact PM service tomorrow morning.

Steven Green
02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Called Powermatic tech support had me up and running in 15 minutes. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ryan Mooney
02-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Called Powermatic tech support had me up and running in 15 minutes. Thanks for all the help guys.

Inquiring minds are curious as to what the resolution actually was?

John K Jordan
02-15-2016, 2:29 PM
That was my question which I typed up long time ago then got distracted by an icing problem on a heat pump fan...

For all those who tried to help and for others who may have this problem in the future, consider posting what the problem was and what the fix was. Unless perhaps if it is too embarrassing. Then maybe a hint would be sufficient.

JKJ

Steven Green
02-15-2016, 6:09 PM
He had me reset the inverter by letting it sit for thirty minutes with no power at all. Simple as that.

John K Jordan
02-15-2016, 9:47 PM
He had me reset the inverter by letting it sit for thirty minutes with no power at all. Simple as that.

Based on my experience you might see if it happens again and if so insist they replace the inverter.

I had a similar issue with one of my Jet 1642s (also with a Delta inverter, same series but smaller model) The problem in my case was whenever the power was interrupted for a short time the VFD would quit and display an error message. This happened so regularly I eventually just left it plugged in all the time. Waiting worked when this first started happening, then later I had to wait plus plug and unplug multiple times until the thing finally reset. After a few years of this the thing died completely, kaput, no LED display or anything. After some debugging I ended up buying a new inverter (different brand) and programmed that to work.

JKJ

Ryan Mooney
02-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the follow up.

It does seem a bit strange, hopefully it was a transient.