PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of BLO and Friction Polish

Edward Weingarden
02-13-2016, 9:59 AM
I have BLO and friction polish that's been sitting on the shelf for a number of years. Has it seen it's better days, or is it still useful? Thanks.

john snowdon
02-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Not sure about the friction polish but I've been using the same tightly sealed, 1 gal can of BLO for for 6+ years without an issue. That being said, next time I will buy smaller...

Paul Williams
02-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Like John I am working from a 5 or 6 year old can of BLO with no problems. I have some friction polish that dried up and I tried to soften it with mineral spirits with no luck. If you polish is still liquid or soft as appropriate for the brand of polish I would at least try it.

John Keeton
02-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Friction finish usually contains shellac, which evaporates. I doubt it could be revived with MS - perhaps alcohol.

Jon Nuckles
02-13-2016, 1:04 PM
Shellac also has a shelf life, which is shorter when it has been dissolved than when it is in flake form. Maybe as short as 6 months, though Zinsser claims that they have extended the shelf life of their products to 3 years, if I recall correctly. I'd turn a test piece, apply it, and see if it dries.

Richard Dooling
02-13-2016, 1:32 PM
As mentioned, most friction polish contains shellac and shellac has a shelf life that varies according to various conditions including storage conditions and the shellac to DNA mix.
I would spread a little finish on a piece of glass and see how it dries. It would be best done with a control sample of fresh material if available.
Of course shellac is just part of the equation but that's the part that tends to go bad.
Here's an article that may prove helpful:
http://www.michaeldresdner.com/2009/02/how-and-why-does-shellac-go-bad/

Edward Weingarden
02-13-2016, 5:35 PM
Richard - thanks for the link, and thanks to the others for the info.