PDA

View Full Version : Project: Small "Girlie Things" Table :)

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Ok, in the last week I installed a nice wall-hung bookcase (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23621) in the girls' room as well as raised the beds (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24076) so under-bed storage bins could be used. I also installed new lighting so that each girl would have their own "local" source of light for reading as well as general room light and put in an Arc Fault breaker just for good measure. With the dresser moved over under the new shelving there is a nice space between the beds and lights that was calling out to me..."Build something to go here!" So I did. Consider this yet another "spontaneous project" whanged out from available materials, just as the shelving was. :o

This table is relatively small at 16 1/2" deep by 37" wide and 28 1/2" tall...perfect for things that young girls do in front of a mirror. ;) Just coincidently, there is already a mirror on the wall right above where the table will go! Sheesh! The legs are poplar milled to 1 3/4" square and the rest of the framing is scrap plywood. The top is black walnut off the property...a panel I had in the rack that was originally intended as the bottom interior "shelf" for an aborted sideboard project. It has a little bit of sap in it and is not particularly grain matched, but it really does look nice anyway.

Construction was what "A-the-younger" (the younger of the two girls we are adopting) termed "Frast, Papa, Frast!"...pocket screws. Yes, this is a "wham, bang, thank you mam" project. I started it at 3pm and put the last color coat on the base at 9pm tonight. Over the next few days, I'll spray on a few coats of clear finish on the base and already-oiled top to complete the project.

Pics:

That space between the lights and beds is where this puppy is going to go
All the components were cut, milled and made ready for assembly. Those poplar legs were a good testament as to how quickly the changeover between jointing and planing is on my MM machine as I actually did a few iterations to take one 4' long 1 13/16" thick board and turn it into four 28" long, 1 3/4" square (and smooth) legs. The rest of the material was just plywood scraps ripped to width and cut to length.
Pocket screw construction was chosen because of the speed it offered
Since I was mating 1 3/4" material with 3/4" material, I just used the bench and the WonderDogs to clamp the legs and front and back aprons
Same for assembling the shorter end-aprons to the already-assembled front and back assembly

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
More pics:

Frame all assembled
Frame with top ready for sanding and finishing
Black walnut top oiled...wood is off our property as is the poplar in the legs
Primer applied to the frame
First color coat on the frame...the second one was applied about an hour later. Oh, I cheated on covering the pocket screw holes in the lower stretchers before putting on the color...'stuck some label stock over them. Yea, it's not fine furniture... ;) ...but it was "Frast, papa. Frast!" And I always do what the women in my life tell me. :o
I'll post a final picture once the unit is clear coated and "installed" in the room

Bob Marino
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Room's lookin' good Jim. Great job on this project.

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Jim, isn't being a dad hard work? :) Great job on the proejcts. The walnut top is a nice touch to the painted frame. It's going to look great. But did you make it big enough? Come one, two girls can generate a lot of stuff! :p Good for you! Well done. And blessings on your home.

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Jason, one of the reasons for the new wall-hung bookcase and moving the dresser was to create a slightly larger "play" area between the beds, so I didn't want this table to be "too big". I suspect it will work out just fine we have so many other "surfaces" in other rooms to pile stuff on, too! ;) The space isn't quite as large as it looks in that first picture in this thread...wide angle lense distortion does that. The room is only 9' x 13'. (18" thick stone walls at that level...) I'm considering this table somewhat of a "vanity" piece...as it were...

Mark Singer
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Jim,

That is great! You are a great dad....family is what its all about!!! The room looks just wonderful and you are making the girls very happy!!!

PS: Who takes the photos of you when your in the shop? Auto camera?

Dan Forman
09-12-2005, 3:49 AM
Jim---The girls are going to love the table. You sure seem to be enjoying your new role.

Dan

lou sansone
09-12-2005, 5:36 AM
nice table jim ... I like the walnut top and painted base. great combination of colors. sounds like life is good and getting better

best wishes
lou

John Renzetti
09-12-2005, 6:16 AM
Hi Jim, The room really looks great. Nice job on the table.
talk to you later,
John

Tony Falotico
09-12-2005, 6:25 AM
This Daddy thing is pretty cool, Isn't it!! :) :)

Ralph Steffey
09-12-2005, 8:10 AM
Jim the table looks great. Did you use the plugs or bondo to cover the pocket screws?

Keith Burns
09-12-2005, 8:16 AM
It is a wonderful thing that you have a shop and are able to build things for your girls ! I didn't have a shop when I had kids at home so now that I do I get to build not only for them but my grandkids as well. Nothing better. Great lookin table.:D

Jeff Sudmeier
09-12-2005, 8:20 AM
Jim, it sure looks great! I am sure that the girls will love it :)

Chris Barton
09-12-2005, 8:30 AM
Jim,

Looks like a nice table. Sometimes quick is the best method!

Karl Laustrup
09-12-2005, 8:39 AM
Jim, the room is coming along great. I'm sure the girls will find it to their liking.

If you can could you enlighten us as to the timetable for the adoption? I seem to recall in a previous thread some mention about having to travel to Russia this winter. Is that still a go?

I'm just curious as to the time frame.

Thanks.

Karl

Jim Becker
09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
PS: Who takes the photos of you when your in the shop? Auto camera?

Timer in the camera...

If you can could you enlighten us as to the timetable for the adoption? I seem to recall in a previous thread some mention about having to travel to Russia this winter. Is that still a go?

Our dossier is "over there" getting translated and then will be forwarded to the region that the girls live in. So at this point, we are waiting on a court date which will likely be in November...in western Siberia. Burrrr!!! But there are no guarantees with time frame...remember, a government is involved. It ain't done until it's done...

Did you use the plugs or bondo to cover the pocket screws?

Nope. Paper labels stuck on and painted over. I didn't have any plugs "in stock" nor any Bondo. The pockets are too deep to use spackle, at least for a "Frast" project...so I cheaped out. Honestly, these are down near the floor and on the inside. They will be hardly noticeable. And as I mentioned...it's not fine furniture...

-----
Oh, I forgot to mention that the frame was designed to be relatively in concert with the Ikea beds. They have plain surfaces with square edges and 2" thickness, generally speaking. The table frame echoes that with the 1 3/4" thick legs as well as the aprons and stretchers that are flush with the outside surfaces of the legs. In retrospect, I would have liked to make the stretchers look to be the same thickness as the legs. Actually, I would have liked eliminate them altogether. However, I felt they were necessary to provide a more rigid structure given where they will be living...kids can be tough on furniture.... ;)

Jim Becker
09-18-2005, 8:44 PM
Well, this project is done as I had time this weekend to shoot on the clear coats and get the table "installed" in the girls' room. I think they will like it...and it will be a surprise as we did not include a picture of it in our mailing to them this week. So here are some "wrap-up" pictures for this third and "final" (yea, right...) project for the room. They included the wall-hung shelving unit (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23621&highlight=girls%27), the blocks to raise the beds (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24076&highlight=girls%27) to accomodate under-bed storage units and this vanity table.

Pics:

Here's where the vanity table will live between the beds
Closer view of the table
View of the shelf-wall where the paint color for the table base came from

Richard Wolf
09-18-2005, 8:55 PM
Good work Jim, it's the kind of stuff that makes you a good father.

Richard

Dave Malen
09-18-2005, 8:56 PM
Nice project jim. I see in your future doll houses, minature furniture, maybe even a custom turned baseball bat.

Have fun
Dave

Tony Falotico
09-18-2005, 9:07 PM
...it's not fine furniture...

Looks fine to me !! Another job well done Jim, the kids will love them.

Corey Hallagan
09-18-2005, 9:08 PM
Jim, your projects have really transformed that room into a very nice space for the kids. I am sure they will really enjoy the room. I hope things get put on the fast track and you get to make that trip soon! I remember when my wifes cousin and her husband went to the orphanages over in Siberia to get their daughter. A very long trip over nothing but ice! Anyway, nice job!

Corey

Bruce Page
09-18-2005, 9:18 PM
Very nice Jim, the “Frast” dressing table fits nicely between the beds. I think the lucky Mama & Papa are going to raise some lucky young ladies too!

John Miliunas
09-18-2005, 9:35 PM
Jim, your great looking and functional additions to the girls' room will be something truly cherished by the girls when they return home! Super job, Jim!:) :cool:

Gail O'Rourke
09-19-2005, 7:36 AM
Jim,

I just browsed all of the posts on this awesome project. What an exciting time and these projects all came out great. Glue and screw projects really do have their place in function and extra accessories. Next year, when the girls want to change the look of the whole room, you won't mind starting all over (or maybe you will).

Great job and good luck with everything, it looks awesome.

Jim Becker
09-19-2005, 8:46 AM
Next year, when the girls want to change the look of the whole room, you won't mind starting all over...

Bite your tongue, Gail!! :eek::o:D
-------

Thanks, folks. This was a fun and frast project!