PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an HDMI cable for my TV?

dennis thompson
02-12-2016, 6:01 AM
My cable box failed so Verizon is sending me a new one. They mention using a HDMI cable to connect it. I have several TVs but no HDMI cables. What is a HDMI cable? Should I use one on all my TVs? If yes, where do you buy them?
Thanks

Jason Roehl
02-12-2016, 6:09 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

They look sort of like an over-sized USB cable. If your TVs are HD, and less than about 10 years old, they definitely will use HDMI cables. If you can use them, do. They are currently the best digital interface that is widely available.

I buy mine from monoprice.com. There is zero reason to spend big bucks on them (like associates at the big blue electronic borg would try to sell you).

George Bokros
02-12-2016, 6:58 AM
If your TV's do not have HDMI input you likely can use the composite video, the cables with the red, yellow, white ends. At lease I can with the cable boxes I have with TWC. From what TWC told me the new boxes do not have the old standard 75 ohm cable output only inout.

Dan Hintz
02-12-2016, 7:18 AM
Assuming your TV supports HDMI, I would bet good money the new DVR will come with a (short) cable in the box...

Larry Frank
02-12-2016, 7:25 AM
As others have said, if your TV has HDMI then you should use it.

I buy mine at Amazon.

Jerome Stanek
02-12-2016, 7:30 AM
I got one from Dollar General

Curt Harms
02-12-2016, 9:59 AM
There is an alternative to HDMI in most cases . It's called component video and uses 3 video and 2 audio cables. Any advantage over HDMI? We have one older TV on which the HDMI ports seem flaky. Component input works fine.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=320

And yes, Monoprice is my go-to source for cables.

Gerry Grzadzinski
02-12-2016, 10:05 AM
HDMI is digital, Component is analog.
Also, HDMI can contain audio, so less cables.
HDMI can also allow your TV to talk to a stereo reciever, which can allow for automatic input switching.
My stereo normally is set to play sound coming from my cable box.
If I use an app on my SmartTV, the stereo will automatically start playing the sound from the TV app, coming through the HDMI cable.

James Tibbetts
02-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Dennis,
If you are not in a hurry for all the cabling, let me now what you will need. I have a bunch of HDMI and component cables not being or going to be used. They are good quality stuff and you can have any of them for the cost of shipping. Shouldn't be much, we're not far apart.

Matt Day
02-12-2016, 11:30 AM
You don't NEED hdmi cables. Especially if you don't have an hdtv (you most likely do though) and an hd signal. But I think some newer cable boxes might not have anything but hdmi hookups.

That being said, I buy Amazon basics cables. They're $5 each, and prime shipping.

Myk Rian
02-12-2016, 12:36 PM
I use Blue Rigger HDMI cables. Got them on Ebay for very good prices. High quality.
Don't get sucked into the Monster cables fallacy.

Curt Harms
02-13-2016, 6:35 AM
HDMI is digital, Component is analog.
Also, HDMI can contain audio, so less cables.
HDMI can also allow your TV to talk to a stereo reciever, which can allow for automatic input switching.
My stereo normally is set to play sound coming from my cable box.
If I use an app on my SmartTV, the stereo will automatically start playing the sound from the TV app, coming through the HDMI cable.

True, HDMI has advantages. It also has this (http://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/?PageSpeed=noscript) though I haven't been bit by it.