PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Project: Raising the beds

Jim Becker
09-11-2005, 8:57 PM
The two Ikea Malm beds in the girls' room are really nice, but they are also very low to the floor by design. That feature precludes using under-bed storage bins and when you have a very tiny closet and room for only one six drawer dresser, having that extra storage is desirable. So...I raised the beds.

The beds are constructed of veneer-covered particle board and torsion panels that are 2" thick. So I grabbed some thick poplar from the bin and made four small "legs" for each bed, painting them to match the new shelf I installed last weekend. (I have another project in the works using that same color...stay tuned for another thread) The legs are fastened to the beds using dowels, glue and some 3" screws. The OEM "pads" were then reinstalled to insure that the soft pine floors do not get scraped as the beds get knocked around...kids (and parents) sometimes do that! This was a small project, but will be valuable in the utility is brings.

Pics:

Marking for the dowels using dowel centers. Holes were then drilled to accept the same
Feet are installed using the dowels, glue and 3" screws
The original slick plastic pads were reinstalled on the new feet
Raising the bed 3" gives enough clearnace for the storage bins to slip under easily
One down...one to go!

Steve Clardy
09-11-2005, 9:03 PM
Looking good Jim.
No bricks handy? So you had to resort to wood I see.

Steve

Corey Hallagan
09-11-2005, 9:20 PM
Very nice quick fix, and neat to see a theme start with the green color. The shelves must be on another wall :)

Corey

Wes Bischel
09-11-2005, 9:21 PM
Jim,
Nice call on the color and form. It looks like it was meant to be.

Steve - you crack me up! :D :D