PDA

View Full Version : Chisel needs a handle

steven c newman
02-11-2016, 8:23 PM
Have a little chisel, looks like the handle it has is the wrong one??
Chisel itself is a CE Jennings 1-1/4" bevel edge chisel.
Tang looks like a Butcher made one. Handle has a "cigar band" label remnant
But the chisel is an ill-fit, and has split the end of this handle ( got the thing assembled at a yard sale $0.50)

Sooo, either I can cut a ash handle down a bit to make a "new" one..
Or...drive this "found" handle( yard sale "junk box") onto the tang?

At least this LOOKS a bit closer to the ones Jennings sold.
Chisel is very sharp......while cleaning the logo off, sandpaper slipped off the chisel, and my thumb skipped across the edge.....looked down to see a nice, deep cut. OW!.

Need a way to drive the tang into the "new" handle.....might look into a ring for the top, as well?

Logo on the blade? C E JENNINGS under that is an arrowhead, then a "Made in USA" below that. Might be worth all this effort?

Phil Mueller
02-11-2016, 9:13 PM
Careful there Steven. The only injuries I've received from woodworking have been from chisels. I give them a lot of respect...I rarely pick up a chisel without gloves on.

Glen Canaday
02-11-2016, 9:38 PM
Same here. I made a bow from red oak and I used a chisel on part of it. I named it "black molly" for how heavy-handed the safety reminder was.

I don't use gloves, I just stop and wait a few seconds, then put it to wood with both hands safely on my side of the cutting edge.

Ray Selinger
02-12-2016, 1:57 AM
Paul Sellers has a video on handle fitting that is worth watching. Mind you, I'm tempted to drill bigger hole and use epoxy and mini fibers. The boat building mind set seeping in.

steven c newman
02-12-2016, 2:36 AM
Don't have a way to heat the tang up.....ground it a bit, and just hammered it home. Might get a couple pictures to post later...

James Waldron
02-12-2016, 6:54 AM
Paul Sellers has a video on handle fitting that is worth watching. Mind you, I'm tempted to drill bigger hole and use epoxy and mini fibers. The boat building mind set seeping in.

How you gonna replace the handle when the epoxied one splits from the mallet? Or do you assume that issue will fall to your Grandson? Even on boats some things have to be repairable and/or replaceable.

Chris Hachet
02-12-2016, 8:16 AM
Careful there Steven. The only injuries I've received from woodworking have been from chisels. I give them a lot of respect...I rarely pick up a chisel without gloves on.

I give them a lot of respect also but find gloves a bulky. There are lots of times that I could have used them, and not just in woodworking. Working on hot car engines, moving things, gardening, et al.....I really find working in them uncomfortable.

About the only time I wear gloves is when I am working around energized electrical parts at a higher voltage, say 480 volts.

Chris Hachet
02-12-2016, 8:17 AM
How you gonna replace the handle when the epoxied one splits from the mallet? Or do you assume that issue will fall to your Grandson? Even on boats some things have to be repairable and/or replaceable.

Scrape or file it off, would probably be the only way.

Pat Barry
02-12-2016, 8:19 AM
My shop is in my garage and it gets a bit nipply in there this time of year, therefore I wear some gloves from time to time but then of course I lose a sense of 'feel' that is very important. For doing most fine work (marking, paring, detail cutting, smooth planing, etc) I like to be bare handed. Slap a band aid on there steven and keep working.

george wilson
02-12-2016, 9:42 AM
Glen,what did you use as a backing material on your red oak bow?

Sorry,the pictures are too fuzzy to see details. I used to get pictures like that when I had a mini digital camera. Focused on whatever it felt like. Now I have a Canon Rebel,which I can focus manually. It is a much greater camera. I suggest you get one when you can. I also got the single lens that you just screw on for really closeup pictures.

Looks like a nice chisel find. Those were sometimes referred to as "Gun Stocker's Chisels". But now they are just called butt chisels.

BUT,chisels are the most dangerous tool in the shop. BUT,the most dangerous are the SMALL width ones as they can go right through your hand and sever nerves.

Ray Selinger
02-12-2016, 12:10 PM
The mini fibers are structural so the chances of splitting are reduced. If you paste wax the tang first, it going to be easy. Since the tang is rough it won't slide, but heating epoxy softens it. Mauser rifle actions are brilliant except for recoil transmission. You either have to have perfect wood or glass bed the action. Chisels should work the same way.

Or granddaughter!!

Jim Koepke
02-12-2016, 12:16 PM
On wearing gloves...

When it is cold a pair of Insulite gloves have been modified to keep my hands warm and still have the fingertips for feeling the work.

Then there are times like joining saw teeth, with or without a guide.

Another one is when doing some heavy paring of a mortice. If the chisel slips it is nice to have a glove covering the hand when it hits the top of the mortise with some force.

My gloves get a lot of work for various things. The biggest hassle is taking them off for doing something that requires fingertip feeling.

Seldom are they worn when working on blade rehabilitation. For that there is always something to support the blade when sanding. if it is done on a belt sander the direction of flight of a loose blade is always away from me.

Working with consideration of what can go wrong going wrong is part of the foundation of working without injury.

jtk

steven c newman
02-13-2016, 7:23 PM
Be happy to know, I finished working on the chisel, and didn't even get cut...again. Wasn't happy with the first try the other day
yep, ugly, right? Well went back to the shop for a while tonight..
I even found a steel ring to add to the end...
Bit of a gap under the ring, will do for now, should be able to drive it further on as I go along.
Might make a decent enough tool box chisel....