PDA

View Full Version : CA Accelerator Life

Ned Ladner
02-11-2016, 7:45 PM
This might be a dumb question but here goes. Does CA accelerator have a life span such as the CA itself has. In other words, can it go "bad"? Also, are all brands of accelerator basically the same or are some better than others.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ned

Dan Hintz
02-11-2016, 8:28 PM
Generally, no. I suppose it could suck some moisture out of the air and slightly dilute... but since moisture in general is basic in nature and will set off CA in and of itself, I see no reason why it can't last forever (or at least until it evaporates).

James Combs
02-11-2016, 10:54 PM
I use a 12oz aerosol can so 12oz has been know to last me more then a year. I have never had a problem with it degrading but then again it is in a sealed aerosol can.

Alan Heffernan
02-11-2016, 11:48 PM
I have an aerosol can that I have had forever and it still stinks as bad as ever and works like it always did.

thomas prusak
02-12-2016, 1:02 AM
I had titebond accelerator that did not work with non tite bond CA. For whatever that may be worth....

Paul Gilbert
02-12-2016, 11:50 AM
CA glue requires water and an alkali to polymerize. Accelerators generally contain an amine (alkali) and some water. They should have nearly unlimited shelf life. If you temporarily run out of accelerator, you can use Windex or household ammonia.

roger wiegand
02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
A common accelerator is 0.1%-1% N,N-Dimethyl-p-Toluidine and 0.1%-1% Hydroquinone in Isopropyl Alcohol. Ought to be pretty much rock stable.