PDA

View Full Version : Durable material for fence

ryan paulsen
02-11-2016, 9:32 AM
I am installing a fenced dog run in my backyard. I sung galvanized posts, and was planning on using painted wood for the rails and pickets. The rails would be clamped to the posts using adapters made for that purpose (http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-200-lb-2-3-8-in-Galvanized-Steel-Wood-Post-Adapter-328594B/202025410). Now, instead of the wood, I'm wondering if a composite may be a better choice? There seems to be a lot on the market designed as deck material, but not for fences? Is there a reason for this?

I have looked at samples of the Lumberock material, and it seems nice. It's expensive, but the run is small enough. Would I be better off just installing cedar and painting it?

Erik Loza
02-11-2016, 9:53 AM
I would be concerned that it would sag and bow. Unlike real wood, composite has no grain or rigidity.

Erik

Al Launier
02-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Does your dog have any tendency to chew on wood? If so, you might want to consider that when choosing the fence materials.

Stan Calow
02-11-2016, 10:47 AM
No experience, but noting that sometimes Habitat Restore has surplus composite material dirt cheap. Don't see why it wouldn't work. Shouldn't sag if used vertically.

roger wiegand
02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Here's an example of Azek fence rails: http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/azekrail.html They also sell the balusters.

These folks make and sell beautiful stuff. Not cheap.

ryan paulsen
02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. I didn't think of the structural capability...the horizontal runs would be 8' which may very well be the reason I can't seem to find fencing. The Azek stuff is nice, but I'm looking for more of a picket/privacy fence to enclose the run.

So if I went with wood, is there a benefit of going with cedar over PT if I'm going to paint it anyway?

Jay Jolliffe
02-11-2016, 4:30 PM
I looked for pickets but couldn't find them. They make reinforced rail that would work. It depends on how much time & money you want to put into it. They have 4x8x3/4 sheets that could be made into pickets pretty easy.

Sam Murdoch
02-11-2016, 9:01 PM
Might you consider lattice? Maybe you could run some chicken wire first just to reinforce and then cover with painted PT lattice panels. Would be rugged enough, last a long time and be easy to install.