PDA

View Full Version : Something for the wife

Daniel Morgan
02-11-2016, 8:42 AM
So the wife wants to spend time with me out in the shop/garage.

Bought her a used scroll saw on CL and she is enjoying it.

Last time we were up to our local Woodcraft she became very enamored with the wood carving demo.

So I'm looking for suggestions to a lower cost alternative for Pfeil tools. I'm sure they are fine quality but they would take a big bite out of my budget and I want to be sure this is something she will do seriously.

Just can't stand to have expensive tools laying in a drawer collecting dust. Know what I mean?

Suggestions?

mike holden
02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Daniel, problem is that cheap carving tools will frustrate her so much she will not stay with it. Watch for carving tools on your local Craig's list or go to fleabay. Patrick Leach's monthly tool letter usually contains carving tools as well. Best of luck to her and you.

glenn bradley
02-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Agree. Like a poor scrollsaw, poor carving tools will foul the user on the practice. What kind of carving are we talking about? Chip carving, short tools, long tools and mallets?

Mel Fulks
02-11-2016, 1:00 PM
Some that think they want to carve actually end up happily whittling. Let her try a sharp knife on soft white pine. And a saw and draw knife. If she likes that,then buy a few high quality carving chisels.

Daniel Morgan
02-11-2016, 6:14 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Maybe be I'll get just a couple of knives.

I think what she has in mind is chip carving. She is disabled and I'm not sure she would have the strength for push gouges and such. Will head up to Woodcraft and pick up a hunk of Basswood and a couple of sharp things and a glove and let her have at it.

Bruce Loomer
02-20-2016, 5:56 PM
Hi Daniel
I would recommend a couple of interchange tools from flex cut, great value for quality tools, one handle several tools of your choice.
Bruce

Daniel Morgan
02-20-2016, 7:54 PM
Hmmm..... didn't know they made such an animal, will Che k it out.

Thanks Bruce