PDA

View Full Version : Favorite saw

Brent Cutshall
02-11-2016, 7:03 AM
Hello Sawmill Creek community!
I am new here and I would like my first thread to be dedicated to getting acquainted. My favorite tool in the workplace is a saw, and honestly it would be awfully hard to do most pieces without one. I would have to say that my favorite rip saw is a disston d-8 thumbhole, and for some unknown reason my favorite crosscut is a disston keystone k-4 air master. Now, to the question, what would be your favorite saw or saw brand.

Chris Hachet
02-11-2016, 7:19 AM
I have a Diston D8 filed rip that I adore.....my Bontz Half Back would be my most useful saw in the shop....and I have an almost unhealthy and un natural affection for my Lie Nielson Dovetail saw.

Next!

Chris Hachet
02-11-2016, 7:20 AM
Oh, and welcome to the creek.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Howdy Brent and welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't list a location. I am always curious as to were folks call home.

It is difficult to pick a favorite saw. Sometimes it is a Ron Bonz dovetail saw, sometimes it is my crosscut D-7. Then there are a few others that come into play.

It can be as hard as picking my favorite chisel or hand plane.

jtk

Lasse Hilbrandt
02-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Im pretty sure when I get my Ron Bontz saws they will be my favorite...canīt wail :)

Chris Hachet
02-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Im pretty sure when I get my Ron Bontz saws they will be my favorite...canīt wail :)

Ron is fantastic to work with, I have 3 of his saws that all see regular action in anger against wood in my shop....

Dave Anderson NH
02-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Egads, trying to pick a favorite saw is like trying to pick out the favorite of your kids. Having said that, I have a really nice Disston #7 8ppi panel saw in an 18" length that I often find in my hand. My 26" Disston #12 6ppi rip is also a favorite. If you are thinking of new saws, it's a whole different list.

paul cottingham
02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Favorite saw is easily my Bad Axe hybrid sash saw. Use it for everything. Next favorite are my Disston 20's era tenon saws i bought from a Creeker. I also have a great 20's era 8 point crosscut 26" Atkins i bought from a Creeker that touches pratically every thing I build. Fantastic kit.

Glen Canaday
02-11-2016, 1:19 PM
I have many saws. Many saws that I like. Not all are Disston!
Disston D8 thumbhole 26" 5ppi rip, Keen Kutter 180 26" 5ppi xcut (6 strokes and the 2x4 gets shorter), Disston 26" no 7 6ppi rip, no 12 26" 7ppi rip, 20" D8 10ppi xcut, and a host more.

I love these listed. I am not as fond of my backsaws, and I absolutely hate my gent's style dovetail..I want an 8" or so open or closed handle but I garage sale for my saws and there were many carpenters near me in the past but few cabinetmakers.

Still, there is a meet near me in two days..maybe I'll find one.

Wayne Taylor
02-11-2016, 3:14 PM
I recently bought a dozen rusty saws at a country feed store near me for $5.00 each. So far, I have three D-8s filed rip (5 1/2, 6, and 7 PPI) an unknown but old Disston, and a Simonds 361 all restored and functional. I have all the rip and cross cut saws I will ever need, and I still have seven more to go.

I passed up an Atkins miter saw, probably 30" long with folded steel back. It's probably still there.

Jim Davis
02-11-2016, 5:02 PM
I like whichever of my 37 Disstons is best for what I am doing. I have the most affection for this one that I made from a used up Disston D-20.331453331454

steven c newman
02-11-2016, 7:33 PM
Saws? Have a few..pick one.
Have a few favourites...Pic#4 is a 10ppi from a Cleveland Hardware Supplier, made by Atkins, 20" long. #3? A Corsair 8 ppi crosscut.....This is about 75% of the saws in the shop...oh, and #5? 12", 9ppi tool box saw I had just finished up.

Paul Sidener
02-11-2016, 9:25 PM
That is too hard to answer. The 26" panel saws I have are a Disston D-15 Victory cc saw 8 ppi, A Disston D-7 rip 6ppi. My 20" panel saws are Wenzloff saws, a 9 ppi cc, and a 7ppi rip. My back saws and all Lie Nielsen tapered saws, Dovetail, tenon and carcass. They are all wonderful saws, can't really say I have a favorite. Just need to use the right tool for the task at hand.

Brent Cutshall
02-11-2016, 9:35 PM
Steven my man, you've done got me drooling. Other than my d-8 I've got an unknown 8 point skewback rip saw from western Germany,I have no idea what brand it is but it was old, for sale, and what I needed so I got it. You know, I don't got much use for a dovetail saw because I just use a coping saw for such but I do use a miter saw sometimes. Sadly,my collection is probably much smaller than most of y'all's but I'm working on it! Jim, I live in Marshall,North Carolina and thanks for asking. Oh, and have any of y'all noticed that almost every handsaw you find in flea markets and such is a ripsaw, I mean good grief,for the past year and a half,only one out of every fifteen saws I found was a crosscut. Hello back everybody!